Thursday, September 05, 2002

Here we go...

I'm off.

In five minutes, after I brush my teeth and please God don't let me dribble Colgate down the front of my blouse, I'm going to the college for the meeting of the first class session for MF's online course. We're meeting in person to assess the level of tech knowledge these students possess, and to run through the first class and have them follow along in person.

I'm hoping to grab a quickie lunch with Ben and Dan. Hoagie is out of the office today and tomorrow. Not sure but it may be Sukkot or something (did I spell that right? I'm lame with my spelling on Jewish holidays...) and it'll be nice to see them. Best part of working for MF is seeing the guys a lot more. Don't know if they feel the same (grin).

We still haven't ironed out the webcam issues. The ivisit stuff seems to work best if there are a few people involved. Last night MF and I experimented and my reception of her transmissions of voice and even movement were painfully delayed, by about 20 seconds. She'd move... I'd wait. Hear sound. It was hard. She got all my stuff almost instantly. Stupid Friggin Dialup Connection! And I can't find my PC microphone, so I did my communication with her by phone.

Isn't she cute? She's a friggin riot and a half I tell ya. I enjoy spending time with her, even if she's ... kind of out there. But then again, aren't I?

Anyway. I went out this morning and bought two blouses and two skirts. Fashion Bug seems to think it is the early 80s again and has all this Indian (India Indian) stuff on sale. Just my speed. I bought a pretty brown skirt and blouse. And a white blouse and blue skirt. The heyday of my high fashion was when there was an Indian store in my home town and I would go there anytime I had a penny. I had all kinds of pretty Indian silver jewelry, blouses, vests, skirts... I was a hip gal for a day or two.

So I look semi-decent today. I'm not at all used to wearing clothing that looks ... nice. I'm a Tshirt/shorts/sweatshirt/jeans kind of girl. I worked retail for a little while after I got back from Oregon, and my boss, Mr. Roland (an old old old Italian stereotype) was constantly on my ass about my "casual" attire, when I thought I was pulling out the nicest stuff I had!

One day I went to Filene's basement and got a pretty little black and white getup that made me look like a waitress. I bought panty hose. I had nice black flats from another store in the mall. I dropped about 100 bucks on myself.

I came into work looking like a million bucks.

I made him cry. He was so proud of me. And I was baffled. First of all -- I've NEVER held the opinion that someone dressed well was smarter or to be trusted more than someone not dressed as well. I've ranted about this before in an office attire piece. But in retail, that's all that matters. You can be dumb as a can of mushroom soup and dress to the nines, and people make you a manager.

Mr. Roland encouraged me to go to the store once a week and buy myself one thing until I had a wonderfully built up wardrobe. Customers want me looking pretty and well kept.

Jebus. I thought customers wanted to buy a briefcase.

Anyway... I didn't buy myself one thing a week, I found that to be something lacking in my moral fibre. But I did buy a few nice dresses and he'd go gaa gaa over me when I came to work.

Clothing and work for me have never gone hand in hand. But today -- it's a first impression day. That's the topic of the class. And while I'm not a student I need to look somewhat more professional than my Cingular Wireless Tshirt and black denim shorts which I've been wearing for like two days.

Alright. I've babbled long enough. Cross your fingers. Pray to the webcam dieties that we don't get penii and vaginae in the class preview. Prof MF has a whole screed prepared educating them about what they may encounter online. That's a damn good thing.

I'm off.

No comments:

Post a Comment