Monday, September 02, 2002

September Morn...

When Doug and I were first dating, he would sing Neil Diamond's "September Morn," to me in a schmaltzy Vegas style that would crack me up. I bet I've mentioned this before. I should read my September Archives... So every September I start laughing, waiting for him to do it again.

Problem with reading my September Archives means I have to read all the entries I wrote around September 11th. And I just don't want to do that. Not in the mood. My summer was great -- I'm feeling mentally stable and very happy. I don't want to dip back into the memory bank and start feeling scared and shitty.

I don't know about you, but I'm not looking forward to TV over the next couple of weeks. Our national heritage is worship of the dead it seems -- monuments, memories, slow motion replay reels with sappy music (none of it Neil Diamond though) and all for what? The Barbara Walters "I made you cry in an interview" kind of feeling where we bite back tears by holding our bottom lip between our collective teeth? No thanks.

This has been a busy weekend. We went to Maine for the day to see the residents of the Hyde-A-Way, and special guests from Western Mass., my old roomie Laurie and her husband and kids. We went to Old Orchard Beach, a place I can honestly say I've never been. Only we didn't go up into Old Orchard Beach Proper -- we went to Ocean Park, which is just south on the coast, and a lot less crowded. Most of the coastal beaches from there down to the cape are usually maniacally crowded, but this one was different -- there were a lot of people, but no charge for parking and we drove right up to a choice parking space in town. It was lovely. We got there at about 2:30pm, and the tide was coming in, the waves were amazing, and the kids had a blast.

Normally I would never set foot in the Atlantic ocean this far north, but found myself in the pudding, as it were, when Geoff went fast as possible up to the middle of his chest and I was convinced he was going to die.

The water temperature was lovely. It was cold, yeah, but not bracingly death grip instant heart attack cold. I showed Geoff how to ride a boogie board on his belly. He never got the gist of it, but I had fun. And I got a good work out. Sarah and Jessie were way out there with the real men (E, Wayne and Chris) riding waves and having fun. For as sore as I was after playing in the up close surf, I'm sure Jessica must have been stiff and sore the next day tenfold.

Here are some Kodak Moments:

Laurel and me in one of my silly hold the camera out arms length masterpieces. Mary and Natalie digging in the sand. My pasty white son is visible just behind Nata.
Jessie and Sarah take a break from body surfing Mary is by far my favorite kid on earth. I've said it before and I know I'll say it again.
Pete and Mary in the truck pit. Pete broke his arm last week when he was running in the yard... so he was breadbagged and cautious Peteman grabs some waves, erm, some sand... looks like a pro though...
Unlike my son who looks like he is trying to fly instead of surf. I love the concept of surfboard on the shore... these kids don't get it do they? What a riot...
Sarah, Nata and Jessie decided that the dogs all needed a bath. After they decided, the dogs went for a mud swim up at the Hydepond... so their want turned into true need... Abby was first. Here's poor Jack, not sure why he is tied to a bench and hating it.

We barbecued in the Hyde yard, a feast not to be forgotten, and we sat around the dining table drinking a few beers and talking about college. Doug came into college well after I was already friends with Laurie, Chris, and Wayne... E was there but I think I never met him while he was there, and Marcia went to UVM, but we all had a great time ragging on each other and talking about Christian College Relationships (handholding and making googly eyes meant you were practically engaged! Chris was practially engaged to 100 girls at once). And the kids had a blast together.

Next summer I really want to borrow Sarah for a week and take her someplace with us. She and Jessie have such a good time together, and when they are together it is as if they were hanging out just yesterday, even if they haven't seen each other for months. They know how to be friends... none of this awkward "I'm not sure who you are anymore or if I'm going to like you still" crap that pre-teens do. It's refreshing.

Saturday was a hang around the house day. Nothing interesting to report.

Sunday I worked like a madwoman on Professor MF's site because it has to be ready for this Thursday. My mom says everytime I put MF there all she sees is "mother fucker" in her mind, but it isn't... those are just the unfortunate initials of said professor. I'd use her name but I doubt she would want me to, even though she's a public figure of sorts.

Doug took Geoff geocaching, and Jessie went to her friend A's birthday party. She ended up being invited to sleep over, so I brought her stuff to her. Doug and I watched 100 episodes of Law & Order on A&E (some sort of Labor Day Marathon thingie) and a rebroadcast of the 2001 Agassi/Sampras US Open quarters from last year. Yes, a year old tennis event. Don't laugh. It was thrilling then, and still thrilling to see a year later. Amazing match. And I barely like tennis.

Today it is pouring. It is actual Labor Day, the day so many view as the last hurrah of summer. I'm sure a lot of people are cashing in their chips at their vacation tables and rushing home early this year. Most of the Mondays in Labor Day Weekend over the last few years are fresh in my mind as rainy ones... seems like such a sucky way to end the summer. Good thing TNT has picked up the Law & Order marathonning so I have something to watch on this rainy day!

For me, though, it ain't over until I can't walk barefoot without getting frostbite. It's summer until I come screaming into the house after taking the dog out and I'm yelling "Damn! It's cold!!!"

That may be sooner than I want -- two nights ago I was out there in fleece pants with my breath vapor visible in front of my face. So Sad.

Not to complain -- my favorite of all seasons approaches. Fall. See the October archives for that.

Alright -- gotta get some work done. There is a slim chance Aaron and Michelle may come visit. They are spending the weekend with other friends (gasp! They have OTHER FRIENDS!!!??? No way! I thought we were exclusive!) and they may stop by before heading home. Then again, they may just go home. They're moving from their house to spend the winter on Mt. Desert Island at Farmer Matt's farm. So we may go there Columbus Day weekend and hang. That's still to be determined. Funny to plan ahead when this holiday weekend isn't yet over. Next week is a busy one for me. Tuesday meeting with Professor MF (stop thinking that Shirley!) and actual class time on Thursday. Finishing up Professor CM's stuff. Damn. No rest for the weary.

No comments:

Post a Comment