Friday, November 01, 2002

Local Radio

We have a local radio station, 92.5 the River, based out of the next city over. They've become kind of a big Boston area station. And I've been listening incessantly for the last week to the morning program to win admission to a brunch with The Wallflowers.

Normally, the River is a good station. They were the first station to play Barenaked Ladies in the Boston area on a regular basis, and even had their studio taken over one afternoon by Ed and Steve in what was probably the funniest on-air entertainment I've ever heard. They also have some decent local folk musicians like Peter Mulvey and Ellis Paul in their common rotation when new albums come out. I've submitted a lunchtime "select a set" that I hope they play someday. A couple songs in there are specific to my sister, and it would be great to hear them on the radio because no one plays them.

But, sometimes it is a grown up easy rock listening station. They keep playing a lot of Sheryl Crow, and you know I dislike her. I went to their website to get some details on this Wallflowers thing (by the way, the last opportunity to win admission to the brunch just went past, and I didn't get through, of course. All morning I got through but was like the second or third caller when they wanted the seventh or tenth).

On their website, they have a java script box showing what song is currently playing, and of course, they were playing Sheryl Crow's "Steve McQueen" song because they play it like every frigging hour. The funny thing was... this is how it appears on the website:

You can see that the form box cuts off at a certain point. I highlighted the funny part. Now, whenever I hear that song I'm going to sing "Like Steve McQueer..." in my head. Bwa. ha ha ha. By the way, I in no way shape or form dislike gay people or call them queers, unless they tell me they like being called queer. I actually love the word "queer." It has such a great sound when you say it... and I'm sorry that it is a slander against a lot of people. But I'll stop. I just thought it was funny to see the n at the end of McQueen get cut off like that.

Another thing about this particular radio station that annoys me is they are pushing this horrid remake, and boy howdy do I mean HORRID, remake of Aerosmith's "Dream On," by some chick called Fisher. It makes my skin crawl. She's headlining their CD release party at the House of Blues in Cambridge in mid November, and I'm thinking of leaving the country because she'll be too close to my house and I may spontaneously combust. Go to the website and read the bio information... I laughed. I'm sure she is a nice person. But honestly. I never want to hear another song from them because of this particular horrid remake. She sounds like a wet cat singing this song, not that Stephen Tyler doesn't, be she does even more so. I'm not a huge Aerosmith fan, but honestly -- there are some things you just don't mess with. And Dream On is one of them. This particular remake sounds like something they would do on American Idol. Poorly. I'm forever adverse to this band. No one can convince me otherwise. All their other songs could be , masterpieces, orgasmic epiphanies of musical genius, but I will never hear that. I've been sullied. Meh!

By the way, their website is the single most boring musician website I've ever seen.

How's that for me being opinionated on something. I'm sure I'll get "Why do you hate Fisher so much, they're awesome" emails the way I get "Why do you hate Derek Jeter so much, he rules!" emails. But that's alright. The beauty of the internet is I can say what I want about what I think and bite me if you disagree.

I also hate Chris Isaac, but that's an entry for another day.


I'm chaperoning a trip for Geoff's class next Wednesday. Huzzah. What am I thinking. Yesterday the pancake breakfast resulted in all the children at my table telling me that they still want me to come work there. These are the same kids who gave me career advice back in January, to either work in a barn or come to the school and be a mommy teacher. I appreciated their love for me, but told them I didn't think it was a good idea if I were ever a teacher, because I'm too much fun and kids don't take me at all seriously. I then put carrot eyebrows on my face.


I think the verdict is in -- I believe my baby sister is planning to move back to NY. She's been giving it a go in Florida, but it just isn't working out for her. She can't find a good job, which pays well. She can't find a job where she isn't miserable. She feels that she's imposing on her friends who have been putting her up. The homesickness is debilitating for her, and I know how she feels. When Doug and I moved to Atlanta, I felt exactly the same way. I feel horrible for her but totally understand.

She talked to her former boss, and asked if there was any way she could come back to the company where she was working. Her boss told her that it looks good but she has to talk to the head cheese. While it isn't the greatest place in the universe to work, she was good at what she did and had friends there. She isn't making any friends in Florida... she's finding that people say things like "I've lived here 20 years and haven't met anyone to be friends with..." or that people are just plain assholes. It sounds to me like she's living in New Jersey with Palm Trees.

The bummer thing is she's heading back to NY and she should be out on her own forging ahead and doing the grown up thing. But the great thing is if she goes back, we can do more Gayle photoshop stuff. Mwa ha ha ha.

If anyone wants to go down there and drive back to NY with her, email me and let me know. I'm broke, and going off unemployment due to the fact it runs out on my ass in 3 weeks, so I don't have the cash to take off down there, drive back to NY, and then fly back from NY to Manchester, NH. I don't want her driving back solo, but that may just have to happen...


Oh, and finally -- Dan and Honey did have their baby a few weeks back. I forgot to mention it.

His name is Ben, not sure if he's actually named for our buddy Ben there, but it sounds it to me. He's a cute baby. I've not gone to see them yet, but I will do it next week when I go down for Professor MF's class, barring any unforeseen circumstances. He's saying "ooooh! My dad putts like a girl!" here.

One of Chad and Remi's boys came home from the hospital. Jacob is doing great... Jadon's still not ready to come home. Keep them in your prayers. I still can't believe I know someone with twins. It seems surreal. No one I know has them. Well. Now there's an exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment