Thursday, November 21, 2002

Quimby the Truck

My Whole Life.

I've wanted very few things. I always wanted a house that was mine all mine. And I wanted a kid or so. And a husband who loved me and didn't beat the living shit out of me. Reasonable requests. These were the basics.

The icing on the cake for me, my whole life, as an insane desire to own a very big truck.

I've always wanted a big-assed mother-humpin gravel- crunchin' pick the fuck up truck. Tonight, my wish came true. Meet Quimby. Named for the Mayor of Springfield (because it is a Dodge truck, and they have this whole Mayor of Truckville campaign, we thought the name worked well...) This is my brand new used 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Quad Cab.

Yo. I am a very happy girl. And I know that the big trucks don't get the best mileage. I know that Amy recently had a run in with an SUV, and big vehicles are a bane to a lot of people. I am sorry. I have just always wanted one of these.

When Ben told me a couple years ago that he was buying a Dodge Durango, I briefly thought of running away with him, just for the truck (he wouldn't have me anyway... so don't go thinkin' I'd leave Doug just for a guy with a great big truck).

But it warmed my heart that a friend of mine, someone I adore, was buying the great big Durango and I knew I'd be friends with him forever because he was just that cool. He could have bought ANY vehicle... but he picked a crazy big huge vehicle.

When he picked it up from the dealership, he came to my desk, walked up behind me, and then dangled the keys in front of my face, whispering, "I've got it. Let's go for a ride." And at that one moment, sitting in the passenger's side of Ben's Durango, I knew I had to one day get a bigassed vehicle like that one. And here I am, three years later. With a big Dodge. Say Hallelujah.

It rides like a dream. It has room for six people.

It needs a bedliner, and probably a cap on the back so the dogs are nice and safe. It isn't super easy to get into, because it's high in the sky. Not that I'd be wearing any really short skirts, but this is positively not a short skirt vehicle!

Geoff loves it, as evidenced here. A little boy and his big honkin' truck. A beautiful thing.

It is in my driveway right now.

It is my truck. I can't believe I bought a friggin truck. I can't believe WE bought a friggin truck. Holy flerkin' schnit!

Quimby. If you don't like the name, suggest one. And by the way, this is the fourth Red vehicle we've owned. We were hoping to get a different color for a change, but this one fit our needs, and happened to be red. Oh well. And just to note -- Rudy the little Red Saturn. You did good by us. You were a fabulous car. I will miss you dearly. We put 39,000 wonderful miles on you in just two years, taking the trip of a lifetime out to see Utah and Arizona. You are in our photo albums filled with our stuff, our dogs, our kids and our laughter. You are well appreciated. You will be missed. Whomsoever ends up with you Rudy -- long may they run (sniff, weep).

No comments:

Post a Comment