Monday, February 10, 2003

you are, and you were.

I've not posted for several days. Tis true. I've been busy, no lie. And I just felt I needed a break. I did notice that many of my favorites updated their journals all on the same day, so I had lots of great reading to surf through. That added to my not writing here myself.

Doug doesn't appreciate too much when I write about our personal lives here. On Saturday he told me he feels like he's on "The Osbournes." I told him that only about 50 people visit and we don't swear as much. So I won't write about how insanely funny he was on Saturday when cabin fever and a pulled something in his lower back drove him into an anti-Old Man Winter frenzy. He was really funny. You'll just have to believe me.

Some funny shit.

Geoff has also been commandering the PC as of late. He discovered Jessie's Grammar Rock and America Rock CDs from the Schoolhouse Rock collection. He's been playing the games for days and now is borderline obsessed with whether or not something is a noun or an adjective. He keeps telling me all his favorite verbs ("Mom, did you know BURP is a verb? Yeah. It's my favorite.") And he loves to sing the "I'm just a bill" song. It's cracking me up.

I ought to buy the audio CD that was put out a while back when all these cool bands covered the songs. My favorite? "3 is a magic number" has always been my favorite of the songs. But I am especially moved by the cover version done by Blind Melon. I cry every time I hear Shannon Hoon's voice sing my favorite of all 70s childhood math themed songs. Sniff. You can watch the video on MTV.com.


Friday I got to babysit Mr. Baby Ben again, and he was the best. It was a snowy day, so they early-released the college and canceled evening classes, so Ben, Brian and Dan came "home" to Dan's house at 1 and we played another wicked game of Cranium, laughing our asses off. Peg was there too, and Ben and I almost had her, Dan and Brian by the short hairs until we got to the last question to win. It was a "HumDinger," where you hum a song and your partner has to guess what it is.

I was humming and humming and humming, and Ben was humming WITH me, and STILL couldn't figure out the song ("Good Vibrations," Beach Boys). Gah. So we lost. They came back on the next question and I swore they wouldn't get it. But. They did. Sad day in Mudville for this kid.

It took me 2 hours to drive home. The snow wasn't bad, it was AAAAASSSSSSYYYYY out there with people driving like dimwits, either entirely too fast or entirely too slow. Painful.

We're expecting about 6 more inches of snow tonight. To add to the 6 we got on Monday. That 6 was supposed to be 1-3. Damn. I was standing in the yard this afternoon and I'm a good foot taller than our 6 foot high chain-link dog pen. That's some damn crazy snow base out there. The dogs love the snow -- Jack can run around in that shit until his legs fall off. He's a riot to watch too. His mouth all open and fangy looking, tongue wagging out to the side, his legs not quite long enough for him to be able to "run" so he sort of gallops and lunges himself through the snow. The fur on his back legs under his tail area and his belly gets all caked in ice and then when it dries he's all kinky and nappy. He's a riot. He chews the ice off when we get in the house, so not only does he get exercise, he gets a refreshing snack. Fun Fun Fun!


I have a phone interview at 2:30pm today. I've sent out probably five resumes per day for jobs that I am 100 or 90% qualified for. I know I'll never hear anything on them. I sent my resume in to a company where a friend of mine works and emailed her to ask her to put in the good word for me. She told me I'm horribly overqualified for the position, that it's really an entry-level answer phones/send faxes/do filing/crap pay kind of job but that she'd keep her ears open for something more suited to me.

That kind of bums me out. I'm glad she thinks I'm talented and too senior for the job, but great googly moogly woman, I need a frickin JOB. Throw me a bone here people! Meh!

Perhaps she hates me and doesn't want me to work there. Yeah. That'd crossed my mind! But that I doubt. We got along great at our last company, and we worked very well together. I just think deep down she wants me to not settle for whatever comes along. And I thank her for that while I have no cash.

Anyway -- enough for now. Gotta do some laundry and get mentally prepped for the phone interview. Send mojo. Much thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment