Tuesday, March 25, 2003

geocaching stories; violations of the Geneva Convention.... in bed

Portion of a conversation between myself and Doug early this morning, not quoted verbatim due to the fact I was half asleep, but this is the gist of it:

me: Did you fall asleep on the couch last night while watching the TV?
Doug, reluctantly: No, I ... had to evacuate the room. I was under a gas attack.
me: What, I had gas last night?
Doug: I didn't say that, you did.
Me, laughing: So I stank you out of here? I wonder what I ate that gave me gas?
Doug: I think you violated the Geneva convention last night.
Me: laugh laugh laugh
Doug: I needed a gas mask. I just evacuated instead... much easier.

Thing is, at least once a week I end up on the couch myself, mostly due to his snoring. The snoring itself doesn't bother me if it is rhythmic and even, but he sputters like an old car, and snores in my face. I wake up and go to the bathroom and then I can't get back to sleep at all.

Revenge may be smelly, but it is sweet.


This from Bostonblogs.com... No. 1 Fun Boston Blog Bash is taking place tomorrow night (March 26th) at the Cambridgeport Saloon.

Lifted right off their site and quoted from Heath Row's Media Diet:

The Cambridgeport Saloon is a wonderful little bar between Central Square and MIT in Cambridge. Within easy walking distance from the Central Square T stop, the saloon sports video games (Golden Tee and Radikal Bikers, last we checked), pinball machines, a great juke box, pool tables, and darts. The bar also has history! Originally called Father's Fore, the bar has been in operation at least since the mid-'70s. Be a part of history. Get in on the ground floor. Belly up to the bar and come out for the No. 1 Fun Boston Blog Bash. And spread the word.

(Apologies for those Boston-area bloggers too young to attend an event at a bar. We'll try to find all-ages venues for future Boston Blog Bashes, and, absolutely anyone and everyone is encouraged to convene their own blog gatherings.)

Live in the Boston Area? Member of the Bostonians Unite or Bostonblogs listing? I am. I'm going. You should go too if you just live around here and blog. Meet and greet. And then sign up for the ring. Why the hell not. I am tentatively meeting Michael of Chaos Factor and going over with. Not sure where we're meeting yet. I only informed my husband this morning that I planned on going. After he told me I stank.

I'm excited to meet Michael in person, he'll be the first person I know in cyberspace that I'll meet in meatspace. I already know Virginia, Leigh, Tree, Ginger, Amy and Taunia personally and have known them for quite some time. Tess would have been my first meetinperson person, but she's not coming until July. And I, of course, have a big zit on my chin just in time to go meet strangers.

Could be worse -- I could be bringing myself in flatulent form. I'll try my best to not be stinky.


Sunday afternoon we decided we needed a hike. The dogs were hyper, the war was wearing us out, the boy was hyper, Jessie was whining that she was bored. We headed over to Harold Parker state forest in Andover and went to an area I'd never visited before, but Doug and the kids were there for a geocache back in the summertime... August to be exact. I think I was working for cateringman that day and he needed to get them out of the house for a while.

The walk was very nice, but still rather snowy and mucky. A lot of old nasty snow was on the trail. Doug said that over to our left by the other side of the pond was an abandoned camping area. I wondered what would possess the State of Massachusetts to simply abandon a camping area... I think I found out why.

The pond has a waterfall, and it stank. Stank ON ice, literally. It was a deep and heavy sulfur stench, like rotten eggs. Our creek smells this way too in the heat of summer, so I can't imagine what this area smells like in say July.

At our creek, the town told us that the stench comes from the natural rotting of wood and grass/leaves in the water when they end up above the waterline (i.e.: the pond water level drops during dry months). Makes sense. I can't imagine how a pond can stink like that after the dead of winter though. It hasn't been warm enough for anything to sit and dry and "cook" in the heat. There is probably some sort of natural (or perhaps unnatural) source of something sulfury there. And I bet that's why the camping location is unused.

We thought it would be cool to come back with a skeleton from someone's science lab and put it by a campsite dressed in khakis and a hunting vest, wearing a Patriots or Red Sox hat, holding a beer can, a fishing rod, and a weiner on a stick... It'd make a great picture. If you have a full-sized human skeleton, let me know. We'll return it in one piece.

We had a wonderful hike, and it was great to get out. Doug took me to the geocache location and we picked up a TravelBug from inside it. It doesn't count as a find for me since our team had already found it this summer. But I loved finding it just the same, and liberating the TravelBug. He's on top of our monitor right now hanging out with me. We'll get back out again this weekend and move him to another location.

It's nice that spring is here and we can cache away!


Michael (referenced above) started geocaching this weekend. He did one we haven't done and the one we did in December at the arboretum in Boston. Nice to have something new in common with him! It sounded to me like they had great fun this first time out but it could be getting dangerous out there for cachers in the big city...

Someone who was seeking the Resevoir Cache in Boston posted this to the cache page and I found it very interesting, and I even laughed... but it still made me sort of sad (lifted, without permission but I'm emailing the user now):

Conversation with what seemed to be a local resident walking by me as Wile E and Scooter scoured the hillside for the cache:

Local: WHERE are you going?
Pan: What?
Local: WHERE ARE YOU GOING?!
Pan: I'm not going anywhere. We're looking for something.
Local: .... (blank stare)
Pan: (walks away)

Um, I know we're at Homeland Security level Orange... but what the heck.

I would have been more polite, had the lady not have used such an incredulous tone with me. Even if I was heading up the hill to cross Route 9. I'm quite old enough to make my own decision, mom.

Anyway, the local couple stopped nearby and watched us the entire time we looked for this cache.

Perhaps urban geocaching may not be a good idea. Someone might take Mayor Menino's advice and call 911 on your ass!

We'll be keeping out excursions to the woods this summer. Rather than frighten some old ladies out for their power walks around Jamaica Pond or on the Emerald Necklace.


Anyway -- I've actually got loads of work here on the computer that I must do so this wonderfully stinky entry must come to a quick close. There was other stuff I was going to write about... but the great thing about this is that I can always come back and add more blather. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment