Tuesday, April 01, 2003

Avocado and Mysterious

I just got off the phone with yet another company looking for a designer that will probably interview me, get my hopes up and then dash my heart to pieces on the floor. The interview is tomorrow at 10am.

The technical recruiter called me and basically didn't phone interview me, she wanted me to come in for an interview, and that was it. I remembered sending my resume to them, so I expressed my surprise. I sent it on a lark, for shits and giggles, because it is so geographically close to me that I felt it couldn't hurt to throw that spaghetti against the wall.

She said "Well, you may feel underqualified, but your cover letter is excellent and you made it past the screeners so they feel you've got something."

Alright then.

I still feel horribly underqualified. They want someone who has backend database integration skills on top of design skills, and to be honest, I don't have that in any way shape or form. I can throw around terms and act like I know ABOUT stuff. I told the woman whatever I didn't already know I'd be willing to learn if they'd be willing to have me.

So... here I go. Getting my game face and my "I'm not going to get hurt again" heart in place. So that when they do offer me a job I will be more surprised and thankful than ever. And if they don't, I'll crank up some Eminem and flip them off in the parking lot as I do donuts in my very big truck.

Kidding.

I know I've whined about my situation way too much and I thank you for reading on and on with this. The fact that I'm getting called in for interviews at all should give me a great ego boost -- that people are seeing SOMEthing worth calling me in on. And I'm so incredibly psyched about it. So I'm thankful, hopeful, and promise not to get all manic and depressed on you in a day's span.


Not much going on in the world today. Here are a few muppet updates:

A fabulous local band announced today that they are waging a full scale attack against Satan. And all I have to say is -- it's about damn time. I thought no one was going to step up to the plate and stop the wicked one's evil deeds. Amen Brother Jim and fellow band mates! Amen!

And, the band taking on the Prince of Insidious Wickedness also is featured in a very interesting video for one of his newest songs, Cautionary Tale. The song is featured as a backdrop to a video of sorts. Packaged together, it's called State of Security.

While I may not agree with the sarcasm being put forth in these very dark times, I think it's an interesting song and interesting video. I've always pimped for Jim Infantino in his various incarnations... softspoken uberfolk zen master to un-Pop Rock Star. For over 13 years he has been of my very favorite Boston musicians.

So I offer it here for you who may be interested (Raye, I think you'll get a kick out of it if you're still reading me)... and if you don't like it, don't watch it again.

Jim's music is very well thought out, very creative. One of his all time greatest hits is "Y2K, Horray!" and it also has a fabulous Flash video for you to watch.

Gah, I love Jim Infantino and Jim's Big Ego! You should too. Click here to go to the Sounds page on his site (the Non-Flash version, so it'll load fast. you can go to the root directory and hit sounds/MP3s, but this is the same stuff... just faster for us dial-up networking troglodytes). Download you some Jim to sample. Watch the Flash videos for Prince Charming, Little Miss Communication, Concrete, Stress... the whole schmear.


Geraldo Rivera is allegedly getting kicked out of his embedded reporting position by big cheeses at the Pentagon. His crime? Drawing maps in the sand on TV so the enemy knows exactly where he is embedded.

Perhaps someone will embed a missile into his head.

I've never liked Geraldo. I can't believe that guy has a career after that whole Al Capone's vault thing. I freaked out when FOX news hired him -- truly turning themselves from what I considered to be an okay news reporting agency into a three ring circus of sensationalism and fluff.

Geraldo. Pfth. Go help some victims of Satan recover molestation memories, the way you did in the 80s man, and then do a documentary for Jim's Big Ego so he has fuel for his anti-Satan battle! Jim will need an embedded journalist by the time they reach the fifth circle.

By the way -- the term "embedded" makes me think of ticks on my dog. I'm grossed out by it. Completely. Cringe, cringe.


My Gammy had an operation on her arm today.

She's like 82, and last year she broke her arm. When it seemed to be well on the way to being healed, she reinjured herself when her patio door got caught in a gust of wind and flew back and hit her. To keep the door from hitting her in the face, she blocked it -- with her injured arm. Bang.

It hasn't been right since, and she's gone from one incompetent doctor to another. Finally they have decided to put a plate in there (they had one put in around September, but it wasn't working out).

A year of this. The poor thing. So huzzah for Gammy and making it through. My mom is staying with her, so she's just a scant two hours away from me right now. I may take Geoff out of school on Thursday and we may take a ride down to see her and hang for a while.


The toilet that I believed was buried in the pile of snow in front of my house never materialized once the snow melted. I'm stumped. Steve, my neighbor, and I cannot figure out where the hell that avocado toilet ever ended up. It isn't in his yard, it turned out not to be in mine. The trash guys didn't pick it up...

Mmmmmmm. Avocado and mysterious.

No comments:

Post a Comment