Friday, May 09, 2003

Asleep at the wheel

Geoff has new glasses.

He crunched one pair, and the dog ate the other (the really NICE pair). So we went up to Lenscrafters AGAIN and got him the pair that you cannot bend, twist or break. They (Lenscrafters) are having this hugeassed 50% off sale, so the very super expensive frames were... as cheap as the other ones I usually buy. So I got them. Hopefully we'll be able to keep these for ... ever. We shall see.


I almost had a horrible car accident today.

I was driving home from work, at about 4:30pm, and I think I fell asleep.

I was not too far from my house, on the main road into town, and suddenly I looked up and the car in front of me was dead stopped when just a second before we were going 40. Ten cars ahead of that car, someone was trying to make a left hand turn.

I slammed ass on my brakes and skidded and shrieked rubber all over. I saw the tail lights of the car in front of me getting ever so much closer. I turned the wheel to the right, realizing the one car length ahead of me there was a kid approaching us (mind you, he's on the wrong fucking side of the road) on a motorized razor scooter.

Then, I realized I wasn't wearing my seat belt. I thought about just where that steering wheel and my face or chest were going to meet.

I came to a stop right before I hit anything. And the kid on the razor scooter saw me... and he stopped too, so he was far enough ahead of me.

What the hell just happened?

Note to self: A cup of coffee around 3pm will help in the future. Drink one. Another note to self: Goddamnit! Wear your seatbelt!!! You always do. Why didn't you today?

Lucky fat bitch I am.


Speaking of lucky, Jack went to see our vet today for a follow up. He's been chewing at one of his wounds so she put him back on the antibiotics that he ran out of, and recommended putting a long sleeved Tshirt on him to keep him from chewing. So we'll be sure to do that tomorrow. She also recommended a lampshade collar. We shall see if I have to resort to that. If his wound doesn't heal in the next week, she wants him back in, and she'll cauterize it and he will HAVE to wear the lampshade. So we'll do our best to help him out before we get there.

Our vet says Jack is surprising her by how well he's recovered from this accident. She can't believe it. She thought for sure he'd be gimpy for months. She wants him swimming as soon as this open wound heals, so that gives us incentive to get it healed. She tested him and poked and prodded him, and he loves her and she loves him, so it was a lovely wonderful visit.

So that's a good thing eh? And, when we told her about all his new names like Lucky, Flip, Skid, Crunchy... she laughed and suggested one...

Speedbump.

Now that's funny!


Doug had a phone interview with the school district in the affordable place I mentioned last entry. He said that the woman who interviewed him recommended the town where she lives as a great place for kids to grow up in, and the student/teacher ratio in their district is 1:10, instead of 1:25 the way it is here. So that sounded nice. He said that she has to get back in touch with the supernintendo, erm, superintendent and check with him on the salary range Doug is seeking.

I researched houses on Realtor.com... I found many absolutely unreal homes. Very affordable.

I researched geocaches in the area and found five right near.

My heart is starting to race and I'm filled with anxiety that this actually might be happening. We've lived here 7 years almost. I've not lived anywhere this long since I lived back with my parents. This is the only home my daughter remembers, even if it is the third residence she's had. This is the only home my son and dogs have ever known.

Packing. Purging. Moving. Organizing. Oh my God. I'm going to puke. Are we really going to do this??? I'm excited and petrified all at once.

A five bedroom 2 bath house with six acres of land could be my next residence. I don't know if I can deal with the getting there though. I may need to go breathe in a paper bag now. I will, of course, keep you posted.

Anyway -- Gotta hit the hay. I'm wiped out from working and running around and almost getting my ass killed. A big glass of water and a book is what I need to calm my nerves. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment