Friday, May 02, 2003

Happy Dogs

My dog was so happy today...

I took both the pups to the baby ben house. It's always a four ring circus (3 on the ground and one up over your head!) when all four dogs are together. Jack so loves to be there. He and Buddy girl do this face fighting thing with their teeth, Tiger lets him eat out of the bowl but he challenges Kinger (Alpha dog to another Alpha dog...).

And Ben gets licked a bit. And cries. And I have to tell them they are bad dogs for licking the poor baby. But it's fun.

Jack played and played, and did all his usual things. He is wiped out tonight though, and the ride home had him almost fast asleep in the truck. I was so happy to see him playing, and not holding back... he ran, he fell a couple times, he kept up, he did good. It warmed my heart. I'm so proud of my little fella.

Tomorrow he'll probably be 100% crippled because I let him do too much. But a double dose of pain meds when we got home seems to have him in a nice comfortable and restful state. He missed his afternoon dose, and I could tell he was a tad uncomfortable when he got up on the couch. He's here by my side, and being such a love.

It was a good day. Brian and Dan came home for lunch, Peg and Rupa with. We played Pictionary and I had my ass handed to me... the girls got killed by the boys, but on the All Play category choices Brian cheated. He listened to what our team was saying and didn't look at what Dan was drawing.

Cheater McJeter.

Jessie's at a sleep over tonight so our house will be relatively quiet. Geoff crashes early, and it'll be nice to have an evening where no one is fighting.


Last night we went to an Art Show at Geoff's school, where the kids got to have gallery night and show off the stuff they've done this year. Some of Geoff's stuff was really funny. They studied "Starry Night" by Van Gogh and the kids got to do their own painting. Geoff's got the sun up in the sky. He puts the sun in EVERYthing. It made us laugh.

We went to Uno's for dinner last night. Geoff can be really charming in restaurants sometimes, and other times he can be a total pain in the ass. Last night was a Total PITA night. He wanted Mountain Dew to drink. I won't give that kid Mountain Dew any time of the day or night... much less at dinner. So he fought with me over it. I told the waitress to make it a Ginger Ale, and he was unhappy. Jerk. He drank it though, and when your pizza burns your palate, it doesn't matter WHAT'S in the cup... you are glad the shit is cold.

We all got to bed early. For the past several nights Jessica has had to stay up late doing homework. Over February School Vacation she had an assignment to do. I asked her on Thursday (of last week) if she was done and she said "Almost."

Almost, I should know this by now, means not by a hairsbreadth. She was nowhere NEAR done. On Monday night, she was there at 10pm and was less than 1/3 done. It was due Tuesday morning.

She cried, told me she had a fever and was going to throw up and begged me to stay home from school.

I told her "No Dice."

We talked to her and convinced her to put everything away at about 11:30 and get to bed. We told her to talk to her teacher. Ask for an extension. Hand in what she had and call it quits.

The teacher gave her an extension to Thursday. She worked on it Tuesday night, got a lot done. Then Wednesday night she went through the same thing... nausea, fever, crying, at 11pm.

She had all afternoon to work on and finish the content.

Here's the thing -- I don't mind riding my daughter's ass to finish a project. But all told, this project must have taken her 15 hours to complete. At fifth grade, don't you think that's just insane?

Doug wrote a note to the teacher. He sat with her at 11pm and went over all she had to finish. He was not happy. I was already asleep and he came in to wake me up to find out where the puke bucket was in case she really did hurl (she had no fever, she was just stressed out).

Nothing is worth stressing your 10 year old out this badly. Nothing.

Part of Jessica's problem with projects like this is she puts in too much time decorating and embellishing. She used her calligraphy markers and colored every inch of the first five pages. I bet it took her close to an hour to do each of those five pages. It is insane. I told her that there is no way other kids were doing this level of work, and that all that was expected of her was to get the stuff written and maybe an illustration on each page. She argued saying that they were required to do this full and complete art, and I said I couldn't imagine some of the kids in her class being able to ever complete this project ever.

Gah. I will be happy when this year is done.

She finished... Hopefully she'll get a decent grade. They have another project due on May 16th on the American Revolution. I swear if she procrastinates and pulls this drama again I'll ... well. I don't know what I'll do.


I saw the Mamma Goose from the pond across the street get off her nest yesterday. She went in the water and swam around with Daddy Goose. I didn't risk getting close enough to see if the eggs had hatched or how many. Last time I got too close Daddy rushed me and Mamma hissed. We shall see what we end up with over there.

I'm going to get off of here now because we're expecting a bigassed line of thunderstorms to come through any minute now. First of the season. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment