Friday, June 20, 2003

Geoff is a graduate

My sister was witness with us to one of the funniest events in our family history.

Geoff's commencement from Kindergarten featured his entire grade singing and acting in skits showing stuff they learned throughout this school year. It was the usual painfully cute stuff that only parents and immediate relatives of kids would possibly find cute or entertaining.

But any human coming into the chapel, even the most hardened "Kids Suck" kind of a human, would have found Geoff entertaining last night. He was off the hook. He decided that he wanted to make sure he sang, in his words, "loud enough for mom to hear."

Some might think I must be stone deeeef, or that I was sitting North a ways up in Exeter NH.

Geoff turned it up past 11. In his words, he "turned it up to 982." And it was hysterical. It didn't start out so loud, he sang the first two songs like all the other kids. But then, they did the "Number Rhumba." And I don't think I ever knew he liked numbers so much. The singing/screaming and the look on his face... combined for a spectacle of comedic proportions that few can compare to.

Doug and I were both laughing so hard we had tears rolling down our faces. And everyone else in the chapel was laughing too.

I've never been a proponent of camcordering all the stuff our kids do/say/sing/eat. We have a camcorder. It's in a closet. I'm not a big fan of sticking a machine in front of my face and taping... I take the words of writer Paul Thoreaux to heart and like to take the video or pictures with my mind, my brain, my memory.

But Damn, I'm SO askin' one of the moms I know for a copy of her tape if she's got Geoff prominently featured. It's priceless.

This is the only time I've ever wished for a camcorder at one of these things.

It was a very nice ceremony, and pizza afterwards was good.


Geoff receives his certificate and a gift from his teacher When the director (standing in the dress to the left) called his name, he jumped up and yelled "Woooohooooo!" and ran over to his
teacher without shaking the director's hand... everyone laughed, including the director. His teacher encouraged him to go back and shake her hand.


My smart lookin' little guy up on the hill, hanging out in his pickup truck


I call this one Ham and Cheese. Guess which one is the ham.


This morning I ran Jack up to the vet to get some shots and met a little tiny fluffmuffin of a toy terrier thingie named "Monkey," and I thought that was the funniest thing I've ever heard. She's seriously the size of my hand. Jack loved playing with her... and she loved being played with.

Jack was visibly nervous though, because normally he licks and nips and does puppy things. But he knew that he could swallow this one whole if he wasn't careful.

I explained the monkey reference thing to the vet and trainer, and they thought it was a great idea but couldn't believe I actually keep track of it.

What can I say? I'm a weirdass.


I didn't have baby Ben duties today. Dan and the family went to Sesame Place for the weekend, and to see the Red Sox play baseball. So instead I made an appointment with the prof I'm co-teaching a class with online this summer. He and I had a lot to go over, and he's incommunicado next week due to a family vacation so we had to meet today.

We had a great time... great meeting. Geoff played with CM's kids, and had a nice time. He didn't want to leave, especially because they had a large plastic guitar so that he could pretend his band, the Bacraders, were having a CD release party.

He told CM about his band and CD party, and when CM asked what the CD was called, Geoff replied "It's called 'We're Goin' to Hell,' by my band, the Bacraders." I thought CM was going to die laughing.

My son. Hot ticket as of late.


Linda took Jessica to NY with her today (thank you lee lee), and we'll get her back sometime next week. Doug's going to Florida for training for his new job, so Geoff and I will fly solo for a while. Before Doug leaves though, we play host to Aaron for an overnight on Saturday. Perhaps we'll do something different for a change, like drink some beer? Who knows.

While I'm solo mom-ing with Geoff, it brings me back to the last time I was solo mom-ing him. Before our trip cross country. I was thinking fond thoughts and memories of our trip to Utah, and then out of the blue I get email from Stacey-Ann from "nothing but love" reminiscing about her time there in exactly the same places. Nice.... I'd so love to go back to Capitol Reef and then over to Moab. Someday.

Anyway -- I'm incredibly wiped. Gonna get G-love ready for bed and start reading one of the four books for the class, so I know stuff, like I'm a professor and have a clue, eh? They're good books. I'm sure I'll be blogging about them. William Gibson, Douglas Coupland, Mary Shelley... it's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment