Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Happy Blogaversary to me

Two years ago yesterday I said, Man, I think I've got stuff to write about so I think I will!" And I started this journal. Two years ago, I didn't think I'd still be doing this. Nor did I imagine I'd make friends through this. Nor did I think I'd inspire anyone else to write too. All those things have happened. Now if I could only get my husband to finally start his own journal, I would feel we've accomplished something here.

Anyway -- I've noticed in the last three months that my "hits" counter has doubled. I'm sure that doubling is totally Andi hitting my site every day and reading through my entire archives. She paid me a great compliment today and said I'm consistently funny and that makes me feel purdy good y'all. So thank you Andi.

Keep hitting the site. One day I'll break 100 hits and I'll just be beside myself with joy. It's the little things, ya know?


I got two "stranger" emails yesterday, which is something that doesn't happen often and never happens on the same day.

One was in reference our October Geocaching trip in my hometown of Huntington NY. The writer found our kicking the Walt Whitman poem stone and yelling Homer Simpson's "I hate you Walt Freakin' Whitman! Leaves of Grass my ASS!" funny, and regaled me with a story of a trip he took to an historic location that had three rangers manning it (one for each of the three people in their visiting party) and their overt eagerness to share the life story of this historical figure made them think of many "Myth of Jebidiah Springfield" episode quotes. I had a good laugh. A noble spirit indeed.

The other email was from someone who found my pictures through a search on hydrangias, and he wanted to know why I swear so much in my writing.

Part of me was indeed tempted to spew forth a response laden with a litany of colorful words... and the nicer part of me prevailed.

I pretty much explained to the guy what I've said here many times before. It's my site, I'll talk here how I wish. I'm not a newspaper columnist, I publish for no one but me. The internet is a big place and I'm sure there are other sites that use less profanity than I use here so maybe go read them, or, get over it and enjoy your visit.

I also noted that I swear a lot less these days (well, except for my recent journey into the joys of the word "Asshat" which I still find ever so entertaining) and that we are all works in progress.

He hasn't written back, but I hope he goes through the site and comes away with something that makes him laugh or smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment