Thursday, April 15, 2004

Interview phase one

Special thanks to Carrie for giving my online portfolio a comb through, and pulling out all the snarls for me. Always have a good QA person with editorial content eye.

Yesterday, after my entry, I hopped into the shower, got ready and dashed over to Lawrence MA for my Unemployment Training Seminar. Oh rapture, oh joy.

I got to an intersection where there was a car accident. They rerouted us, and I ran into road construction which had a major road shut down to one passable lane with a cop on detail not really caring whether or not the cars got through.

I turned around and headed for 495. Big mistake.

495 was a huge mess. Three lanes reduced to one at the bridge in Lawrence. I could have abandoned my vehicle and run to the location faster. It was that close.

I was five minutes late.

I was scolded, along with three other people who also were late. One girl flipped out at the scolding lady with the "what the hell do you expect when every possible route here is blocked?!"

They rescheduled us. I am going on Friday afternoon now. Again, Oh joy, oh rapture.

So not having to spend two hours being shown how job search boards on the internet work, I went clothes shopping instead. I hooked me up with a couple nice skirts and blouses, got something for baby Liam, got Geoff some new skivvies and came home to finish the portfolio. I like how it came out. I used the sunflower graphic that I have on my first page. Life is good.

Overall, the interview went exceptionally well. I was very confident, even if my voice was shot from the cold. Brian got me a huge cup of hot water, which helped a lot.

They reviewed my portfolio, had me go through the college website and make comments and questions, which I did. One of the big things was when I was there initially I was told never to stray from the marketing/publications color palate. Now, I can't find a pixel of orange on the front page of the site. It's all blues in different shades... and the sanctioned font of Perpetua isn't being used in the navigation. My head would have been on a platter had I done that. So I questioned what the deal was there. And we discussed how the site is half branded and half freeform, with people still doin' their thing in the academic departments.

I also asked why the person who had the job had vacated the job to go work doing what he did before. Was it a management issue, was he sick of design and wanted to go back to the other thing he used to do. One of the committee members told me it was a hard decision for the guy to make, but that it had nothing to do with him hating his job or supervisor or team. It was a money issue and a love of what he was doing before issue. So that made some of my fears go away. I was afraid that he vacated the position because of problems with the supervisor. I don't know him well, but I think he's a nice guy... I couldn't imagine him being a psycho. I felt better for asking the question and getting an answer.

I think I'll be promoted from this round to the next round of interviewingness, which is with the person who would be my supervisor.

It was great to see the people that I interviewed with. And I checked in with Ben and Dan before I left for home for a brief visit. It was good fun.

Now, my cold and I have to go to the post office and pay our taxes, and my cold and I then will be hitting the sofa for a nap. My cold and I have some web updates to take care of, and my cold and I will be doing dishes. So if you need us, we're here. Just send an email or call.

I hope y'all are having a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment