Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Book Meme

My girl Tanager passed a meme on to me. I enjoy a good meme. And this one doesn't involve 1000 check marks where I'm bound to make a mistake and accidentally check off doing something "gay" like I did in the last meme I participated in.

It provided a lot of good laughs for my sister. Hey, I live to serve, ya know?

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?

I'm not sure I understand the question? Am I a character in F451 and want to be in another book? I think F451 is one of the greatest books ever, but I'd make the jump to R is for Rocket by Ray Bradbury. Because the short stories are phenomenal.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

No, but I wanted to hang out with Daniel Underwood and the other characters in Microserfs for the longest time. I think they'd be good friends to have. If you've never read Microserfs, please do.

The last book you bought is:

WAS. The last book I bought WAS "Planet Simpson"

The last book you read:

Blue Latitudes, by Tony Horowitz. A very engaging read, and good for the winter-addled brain.

Five books you would take to a deserted island:

Speaking of Blue Latitudes (the book follows the trails around the globe of one Captain Cook and his crews)

The Bible
Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
The River Why by David James Duncan
The Missing Piece by Shel Silverstein
Anything by Michael Palin. Probably Pole to Pole.

This meme torch is passed on to Michael, because... he reads.


I think we figured out what we're doing for April Break. I think we'll rent a house for a week on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. We've never been. It's pre-season, meaning a house that goes for $4000 a week in August is $900 a week now. We're trying to get Aaron and Michelle to come with us. They both work in schools and have this week off. We'd like to give them the chance to get away and have it not cost them a ton of money. They just need to get their bodies here.

The thing is, we can bring our dogs. The houses we looked at welcome pets, usually for a fee. To kennel the dogs for a week is over $300. So, with that savings going towards the rental of a house, balanced against what it would cost for us to pay for a hotel room in Pittsburgh -- we'd spend just about the same amount of money.

So I'm down with the idea. We just need to get Aaron and Michelle aboard. Promises of the king bed in the master suite and they don't have to give us money towards the house -- just get here and pay for some of the food, and we're golden.

As usual, I'll keep you posted.

So that guy who killed the 9 year old girl in Florida, that John Couey guy -- he's going to receive the death penalty when convicted. He's confessed to kidnap, rape and murder. That's all fine and good.

But it ties in with what I wrote about last night -- he'll get a lethal injection and be asleep in a few minutes. While his fellow state resident Terry Schiavo, who committed no crime aside from not dying when she should have, starves and dehydrates painfully.

God bless America.

Anyway -- I'm off to get ready for work. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment