Saturday, March 26, 2005

we just got back from an extensive geocaching trip in the Breakheart Reservation in Saugus. We had gone a few weeks ago and the snow cover prevented us from finding our goal. Add to the fact it was windy as hell and crowded... as hell. We revisited the X700 cache, and couldn't find it again. Another pair of geocachers showed up, and they found it.

Jerks! Kidding. It was nice to meet them, and fun to realize that the clue sometimes is a big fat lie. We then headed to the next hide and took the Ridge Trail, which was rocky, painful, afforded killer views of everything, took us to heights and depths and gave us quite the hiking challenge. More so than anything we've hiked I think since July 4th when we did the Great Head hike at Acadia National Park, and the cache up there.

We found the second cache easily. And headed to the third. By now, I'm fairly exhausted, dehydrated and glad it isn't 90 degrees out. I should have better prepared myself by drinking plenty prior to leaving but I didn't think these would be hard walks. And seeing a bunch of 3 year olds doing the hike and climbing the rock shamed me. I felt like a great, big, fat slug.

We got to the third cache, and got a good rest, enjoyed the view, and really examined the area. A couple of years ago, this area of the reservation burned completely. The cache that was hidden here was also lost in the fire. But there is a replacement cache, and we found it and life is good. You can really see the burn damage, but there is so much growing up there, and it is starting to look lively.

The walk back to the truck was over a mile, but we found a nice paved road for joggers, baby strollers, Steven Hawking Wheelchair riders who want to enjoy the MDC parks. It was slow going and I'm now sore.

Caching after a long winter is hard enough. Picking rock climbing caches while dieting and on your period is bad bad bad. I'm sore. I could use a gin and (diet) tonic, a foot rub and a long, hot bath.

Whine whine whine.

Actually, I feel remarkably good. A good night's sleep and a shower will make me feel like a million bucks.

Alright -- that's about it. Dinner's ready, and there are space aliens to blow up and caches to log. Contribute to the Schuyler Fund if you can. A little girl and her parents could use a hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment