Thursday, May 19, 2005

K OK

Heavy and happy sigh. Last night Jess and I went to visit K who is home from the hospital and happy to be there. She's doing well. Has some pain management issues, and a bit of a balance problem, but on the whole it was a blessing to come in and see her on the couch in her pj's.

I bought her a nice bag, 3 piece pj set and a satin robe as a welcome home gift. I bought mom and dad a big huge bottle of wine. We stayed for about 90 minutes until her morphine started to kick in and she started to doze. She goes back for a pre-op exam around June 1. The big brain surgery is around June 13th.

And hopefully this will be a one time thing and they'll be all done with it, but I'm sure they'll monitor her for time to come.

When she was sharing details of the ordeal with Jessica and another friend who was visiting "C" she said that she couldn't have died at any point. K's mom dug her nails into my knee and shot me a look.

The "She doesn't know the half of what she went through" look.

We listened from the other side of the room and through her eyes K's mom communicated to me each time K's version of the story was very far off from what the truth of the situation was.

In all actuality, it's better if she never knows... K's mom kept me posted through the process, and there is a distinct chance that the next operation could cause some major damage, but without it she'll die. Quite the catch-22. The doctors are confident that the only thing that will suffer as a result of her next surgery is her peripheral vision. But the cluster is near her speech center, so they're taking a different route in to make sure that things will work out alright in the end.

I guess we just have to really trust that the mapping and decisions they're making are the right ones. K's mom said if her peripheral vision suffers horribly, so what. She'll be able to walk, talk, eat, dress herself... all the important things. It won't be like she got hit by a Mack Truck. I can tell she's holding the nervous breakdown at bay. I'm scared for her and for K. I sure hope this all works out okay.

Keep'em in your thoughts, major mojo sendings, and prayers, m'kay?


While we wer visiting K, Doug took Geoff up to cub scouts for his Rockets and Fishing Prep night. He didn't get to finish his rocket, so we'll have to do that before next Friday. Doug brought him home, and when we arrived I found them in the back yard practicing casting. Doug walked him through it, and Geoff couldn't let go the button on time so the practice lure was landing right in front of him.

I totally expected him to get frustrated. He tried again, and again, with Doug's encouragement, and then he got it.

And he stood out in the yard until it got too dark to see. Casting and reeling in. Over and over. Each time he casted, he adjusted his pole in his hands, and adjusted his pants. He looked like a master fisherman.

We stood in the kitchen and watched him. Doug said "Finally, something he likes doing!"

I reminded him, when we were in the Outer Banks Geoff said "This is the greatest day of my life!" when Aaron handed him a fishing pole. He didn't get to cast because the pier was too crowded, so now... he's a master caster.


When we were in OBX was the rods were like 8ft surf casting rods and were too big for him to handle. This one is about my height, maybe a touch shorter, and he's really got the hang of it. Hopefully before next Friday we can take him out and actually GO fishing, catch something, and show him how it's done.

I gotta find a pair of pliers though. I'm not picking a hook out of someone's lip with my fingers...

The things I am willing to do as a mom.


At work today is C's last day before she leaves for vacation. I'm going to miss her this week upcoming. Perhaps I'll get a lot more work done. Heh.

I'm off to shower and get ready. I managed to get up before 7am, and writing this entry puts me exactly as behind schedule as if I'd slept until 7:20. Damn my desire to keep the blogiverse posted on my every damn move.

No comments:

Post a Comment