Monday, May 09, 2005

Mother's Day...

Mother's Day isn't a big deal for me. The only thing I really want is for the kids to not fight for 10 minutes, and for someone else to take out the trash and do the laundry.

I didn't get that.

I did get a trip to the movies instead of Geocaching. The weather was not going to cooperate, and rather than get stuck out in a woodsy setting and have the sky open up on us a half mile from our truck, we opted for indoor activities.

We went to see Hitchhiker's Guide. It wan't as bad as I thought it would be, and Doug hated it and said "I liked 'Fat Albert' much better."

And that, my friends, is a heavy handed indictment. He really hated it.

There were things that I liked, things that I hated. I really am not sure how I feel about it overall. I think it opened powerfully and was well done, with the dolphins and the singing... and Arthur Dent's house situation. After that, well. Hrm.

Sets, special effects -- yes. Wonderful. But that which is funny in print sometimes just does not or cannot transfer to celluloid, no matter how hard one tries. I greatly enjoyed Mos Def as Ford Prefect, though. Really liked him. Thought his was the best played part... I loved how he weilded his towel. Nicely done.

We then went out for early dinner/late lunch. Linner. Drunch. Whatever you would like to call it. We tried to go to two restaurants at 4pm, and found an hour wait at each. So we were driving back toward the house thinking different thoughts about dinner and Doug pulled into The Green Barn on Rte 97 in Salem NH. We were the youngest people there (aside from our 2 kids... who were really the youngest people there).

It was one of those places you take grandma once or twice a year when you take her out of the home.

The food was good, the staff was friendly and efficient. It had this totally dated feel, a throwback to the 70s (go to the webpage and look at the dining room and woodwork. You've been to a place like this, I'm sure). We had a great dinner with really good pints of German Weiss-bier, and I took a huge nap upon return home.

That made up for the kids not being able to keep from fighting for 10 minutes, and the total absence of Buffalo Wings from Hooters being delivered to me at 10 am at bedside.

So for all you mothers out there, I hope your day was pleasant. Every day should be mother's day, where your kids behave and are kind and obedient, and husband appreciates you and lifts a hand to help more than he groans and avoids. Every day.

And on that note, gotta get ready for work.

No comments:

Post a Comment