Friday, May 13, 2005

Oy, my neck...

The past several days, most specifically since we returned from vacation, I've woken up with a painfully sore neck. Every morning it is progressively worse. This morning I had to ask Doug to rub my neck, just so I could make Geoff breakfast. So I asked him what diseases have neck pain as a symptom.

"Meningitis," he replied.

"Oh, maybe I have that!" I said in a mocking and semi-worried tone.

"No, you'd be comatose by now."

I know I don't have meningitis. I do know that maybe I need a different pillow. Geoff's got the nicer, newer ones. Perhaps I'll swap out one of mine for his. He'll never know.

Speaking of Geoff, he's got a half day today, so I plan on working on floor plans this morning to finish off the entire chain of this one store. And when he gets home, I'll take him to a drive through for lunch and then we'll go to my office. Must remember to charge up the gameboy for him so he has something to play with, and cross my fingers that G's husband still has the portable DVD player in the office and a collection of DVDs so maybe he can sit and enjoy watching something while I work.

Our office tends to get incredibly chaotic on Friday afternoons, so it is my hope that we can stay and not have to leave just for the sake of people needing to get their jobs done efficiently, loudly and distractingly. I don't know what it is, but I swear each Friday around 3:30 things just go kooky.

C is out today. It's her birthday so she took the day off to go shopping with her mom. She's going on vacation in another week, so she's getting all psyched for that (envy, envy). I'll miss her while she's gone. She always brings a good game to the office, and keeps me laughing. Sigh.

Jessica's friend K is in the hospital. Another friend called last night to tell us she's got a blood spot on her brain and has to have surgery, but we know the way stories get bigger and bigger with kids, and how the truth may only be available from talking to the parents.

Well -- I just got ahold of K's dad and got the full report. Yeah. It's serious. Seems she's had migraines for the past five years. On Wednesday she was vomiting, in extreme pain in the head, ashen. Thursday morning she passed out. They rushed her to Children's Hospital. She had some sort of blood vessel breech where she'd bleed into her head, causing the headaches, and then the vessel would heal... and it was happening over and over with more dire consequences and more blood being released but not absorbed. A CT scan showed a huge blood spot. She's in ICU, they've operated on her and stabalized her. She'll be in the hospital for a week. After that, she should be fine, but they're going to have her come back in another 3 weeks for more tests to make sure they fixed everything and to fix another area which is in danger of doing the same thing.

The worst possible side effect of this surgery is it couldl mess with her peripheral vision. Which is good compared to it debilitating her and making her unable to do gross motor work or speak. They won't know until a few weeks after her full recovery.

I guess yesterday K's mom called all the friends' parents to let them know, but she didn't want to leave a voicemail with this detail. Which is how C ended up calling Jessie with all the details.

We can't go see her, and we can't send flowers to ICU... so we're going to have to wait until she comes home to give her some love and gifts. I feel awful... I let them all know that I'd do anything to help out. I may make a lasagna for them so they have an immediate meal to throw in the oven.

Wow. Such a drag. Makes my neck ache trivial.

Okay -- on that note, now I begin working for a few hours. Geoff will be back home before I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment