Friday, May 20, 2005

Stop Lights Stopped

This morning on the way to work, every stop light was out. For some strange reason, unknown to me, the power was out in Peabody, Salem, Swampscott and Marblehead.

I'll make the following incredibly generalized blanket statement. People in Peabody were kind and generous. There was a lot of easy flow of traffic at otherwise cutthroat intersections. With no traffic lights, people waited, gave right of way, took turns.

The kindness dwindled as I got closer to Swampscott, where people began cutting one another off in cars that cost more than my annual salary.

And by the time I made it to the four stop lights I have to go through in tony Marblehead... people were downright dicky. I stopped to let a man make a left turn in front of me. The woman behind him (black Lexus and 5000 dollar sunglasses) gunned her vehicle to ride his wake, and attempted to kill me, and flipped me off when I beeped at her.

Now, if basic instincts of self preservation and wanting to not lose a vehicle that I dearly need hadn't kicked in, she and I would have had a head-on collision.

And I would have sued her ever loving ass.

Money equals dicky behavior. That is my incredibly generalized blanket statement of the day.

The work week was hectic this week. And when I got to the office, I wondered if the power would come on. I desperately needed to complete the scheduling and testing of next week's content. And I was deathly afraid that I would not get a chance to. But, shortly after my arrival and about halfway through my coffee (reluctantly purchased at a Starbucks because they had a generator and were in business when everyone else was standing outside lackadaisically staring at the sky wondering what happened to the electricity) the juice began to flow and all the systems cycled back up. Work was good. All was previewed thanks to the help of MB, and my first full week as an employee finds me needing to make up 5 hours this weekend here at home doing floorplans.

The commute home was long, but no stoplights were out and no rich snobs tried to end my life. So all told, it was a good day.

I have no idea what is for dinner. My husband and my son both seem not to care. Jessica went to the school dance (which is shocking) and will be sleeping at "C"'s house tonight.

Rumor is that we're expecting more rain this weekend. Can't hardly wait. Alright -- that's all I got. Nothing too exciting, indeed. But. It is what it is. Have a good weekend and I'm sure I'll check in at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment