Monday, June 27, 2005

Geocaching and Giant Tikis!!!

The weekend was incredibly fun. Saturday we went to Michael and Jon's and did some crazy geocaching. We learned that when frustrated it is quite okay to kick things. You may be pleased with what you uncover.

We also saw this cool abandoned/disused Chinese restaurant on the side of the road that had a wicked cool tiki out front. Nothing more fun than hanging out taking pictures of a giant tiki, I tell you what.

Sunday was a whole lotta nothing, except for a brief visit to Home Depot. We have a revisit of termites in a new portion of the house, so we went out and got stuff to put into the Terminix containers... rather than pay crazy money for Terminix to come out and do it.

Doug is confident we'll have their little chewing asses kicked in no time. I can't tell you how pissed I am that these gnawing bastards are back... Terminix can kiss my ass. Yes! I said that. You heard me!


My commute to work this morning worked out great. I think I got into Marblehead just in time. I drove past the cemetery where Christopher Piper would be laid to rest, and the Marines were there with the bagpipes playing. The Leathernecks and the Hell's Angels were setting up perimeter. Neighbors to the cemetery had signs out thanking Staff Sgt. Piper for his service and sacrifice. They were getting ready to set up the road blocks just as I went through. I was lucky to get in without having to drive the whole wide way around town.

My boss J graduated with Staff Sgt. Piper. He attended the funeral and reported back that the protesters were there, set apart in a little mini-pen, and the state police had backed their horses up right against the fence. The protesters got a good look at horse ass while they were there, and folks coming out of the church were treated to a regal sight of beautifully groomed and majestic horses lining the street. J said that he had an opportunity to talk to the Marines in attendance who worked under Piper, and to hear them tell great stories of what a generous and giving person he was, and how their lives will be harder without him as their leader. He was very touched by their stories. He came back to the office very subdued but not very sad.

When I drove past the VFW hall, the parking lot was packed beyond belief. I'm sure all the friends, the soldiers, the community who knew him were in there lifting a glass or twelve. I'm glad in the end there was no chaos, and that the family was able to be surrounded by so many friends, and so many strangers who pledged their support.

There was a news story last night about a church in our state with just about the same name as the other church from another state that came to picket this funeral. They're getting hate mail and hate phone calls from yahoos who think they're responsible. The pastor made it clear they're completely unaffiliated with the other church. I have to feel badly for them.

Anyway -- dinnertime. I'm outta here.

No comments:

Post a Comment