Sunday, June 12, 2005

I am schwetty

Wow. It's hot. Today the ACs go into the windows, and by Wednesday we'll be back down in the upper 60s. But at least I'll get a great night's sleep under the comforter tonight. Last night was a bear. But I survived and there will be no weather related whining.

I think last year or during the winter or summer or something I got on a whole "don't bitch about the weather" tear because too many bloggers were just going nuts with kvetching about it being too hot or too cold or too whatever. Shutup and deal with it. That's what I say. I will also say that it sucks to take a shower, get out of the shower, and the effort to dry and get dressed results in your being just as drenched in sweat as you were before you got in the shower. That bites.

And to give credit to my daughter, yesterday I could not recall the second award that she got. It was honor society. She missed high honors by a bit, but was incredibly happy to get into honor society. May she stay there, long may she run indeed.



We took the cub scouts hiking yesterday in Andover. From the parking area to elephant rock and back is close to a three mile loop. Doug thought it would take us a lot longer than it did, but even with a long, leisurely lunch break we were done an hour faster than he budgeted the time for. Geoff was joined by three of his mates and they all did a tremendous job.

Pictured here is one of the boys, with a friend found on the trail... he found five toads on the hike. This was the only one I managed to capture with him. He'd pick them up, say hi, and let them go.

I had a really great time talking with another mom who came, and with the den mother. She cracks me up -- and I really like spending time with her. Her husband and 2 year old daughter came with us too, and they were awesome.

The mini-Super Hiker grabbed herself a hiking stick and lead the way. She only had to get in the backpack a couple of times, much to her father's relief.

It was a really great time. I'm glad this den is staying together next year. They're good kids and I really am having fun being involved.

Pictures in Flickr if you're interested in the few I managed to get.


We picked Jessica up after the hike and went to Chunky's Cinema Pub in Haverhill for dinner and a movie. We brought K with us for the third straight year... remember from prior posts that K. is the friend with the brain thing going on (by the way, the big surgery is June 21st, so continued mojo in her direction please).

We haven't been there in years, and I can't imagine why we don't think to go there. Two birds, one stone. Dinner and Movie. The food is good and there is beer (Hallelujah!) for me and Doug. The last time we were there was when Jess turned 10. Three friends and the movie Spirit. I think that once I get to June in the archives for 2002 I will find the full review.

So the dinner and movie thing was fun, and everyone had a great time. We saw Madagascar which wasn't nearly as bad as some of the critics have made it out to be. I found David Schwimmer's giraffe annoying. I really liked the king of the lemurs... he was crazy funny. The interplay between Alex the lion (Ben Stiller) and Marty the Zebra (Chris Rock) was great. There were a lot of funny pop-culture jokes going on in the film but the best is when Alex the lion does a kind of Zoolander "Blue Steel" look over his shoulder. I almost laughed my ass off -- it was there for a split second, and I don't think that anyone else in the theatre got it. At one point, Marty starts running away from Alex when he knows Alex is going to kick his ass for getting them lost at sea, and he yells in slow motion "Sugar Honey Ice Tea!" And you all know what that means. THAT was something I haven't heard since I was maybe ... 12 years of age.

I think I'm going to start using it often. It's funny.

When the movie finished, the little boy from the table beside us got up and ran down front to dance to the credits. He was obviously handicapped -- but he had this air about him that I found incredibly irresistible. I turned to his mom and said "He's not happy or anything, is he?" and she cracked up. "Do you mind if I join him? I have to dance too." So she gestured for me to go ahead.

And I did.

I danced with this little kid, who at first was shocked that someone else was with him, but he warmed up to it and the both of us did The Airplane. We shook our groove things, and K. and Jessica died laughing.

I don't know what came over me, but I swear sometimes I see little kids who are so in the moment and it infects me and takes over my soul. It's why I would make a horrible elementary school teacher, because I'd just go nuts with the kids and they wouldn't learn a damn thing.

Jessica and Geoff are kind of used to this incredibly stupid behavior on my part. Doug didn't yell at me to sit my ass down, but they probably sat there shaking their heads. And I don't care. I had a blast and it was so fun and he was so happy and made my heart fly.

On the way out K. said to me "I don't know you. I'm not with you." while laughing her ass off. I grabbed her, hugged her and said "Oh yes you do. You are One Of Us!"

The poor child.

After the movie and dinner thing we stopped for birthday ice cream at a little place on River Street in Haverhill. I was still feeling a bit silly from my dancing. When we were all served at the window, I handed the girl my money and she brought me back my change.

"Thanks hon, and can I ask you guys to do me a favor?"

"Sure, what is it?" the window girl responded.

"I gestured to Jessica and said "Today is her birthday. Would you guys sing to her for me?"

"Yeah, all of us?" she asked, and I nodded. So four girls came over to the window and sang with me to Jessie while her friend K just about died. They both think I'm certifiably insane... and you know I am too. See the sidebar quote of the moment for even more evidence.




Doug has started installing the ACs, which means in about five minutes he'll be calling me to hold something still while he whacks the Sugar Honey Ice Tea out of it with a hammer. So I'd best finish up and move along.

Have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment