Thursday, June 30, 2005

In my hot little hands

So this morning at 8:50, life found me sitting sipping iced coffee in the parking lot at WXRV radio, waiting until 9am for the business offic to open so I could go in and pick up my major award ("Fragile! It must be Italian!")

As I pulled into the parking lot, "Wilted Rose" came on the station. That was great timing and a beautiful thing, if ever there was one.

Last night when I got home from work, I told Doug about the win, and he was actually thrilled for me. He applauded my determination (I told everyone within a 50 mile radius of my big mouth last week that I would win, and I did, so he thought that was awesome).

(For a larger version of the above, click here and if you're interested in the entire set of BNL pictures I've got on Flickr, click here).

So indeed, he was happy for me. Genuinely happy. Instead of eye-rolly "Oh Dear GOD not another BARENAKED LADIES THING!" I think he was happy because this cost me zero dollars. And that makes it extra special, no?

I will wait until he is piss drunk to tell him of the giant shrine I'm going to build in the center of our livingroom in which I will store the guitar for posterity. It will feature a hermetically-sealed, safety glass, velvet-lined case, piercingly loud security alarm, framed pictures, ticket stubs, special lighting, and a kneeling rail for those to come and gaze upon its beauty.

Oh yes. Yes it will.

He will be more receptive to this fact once he's trashed. I figure sometime this holiday weekend I'll be able to drop that love bomb in his lap. And maybe I'll allow him to build a similar Dylan themed shrine, on the small wall below our air conditioner, or perhaps on the wall above the toilet in Jessica's bathroom.



After I picked it up, I drove to work and got there close to two hours late. It was worth it. Got me a Steven Page automagraphed guitar. Everyone in the office was impressed and happy for me. My boss cocked her head to the side and said "Ya know, I'm kind of surprised that you haven't yet built a shrine here at your desk of some sort. You just have desktop wallpaper of them and you don't have anything really... personal displayed."

She's right. I think my big fear is that based on the history of my job security over the last three years, I'm afraid I'll get laid off at the drop of a hat. It's happened too many times. Settling in and getting comfortable, homesteading the cube farm, always leads to a big box and a pat on the back as I turn in my security access card.

I'll take her comment as an invitation to go ahead and start building that shrine at my desk. Mwah ha ha.

I want to learn to tune the guitar. Maybe play some chords. You all know I'm not at all serious about the shrine as it were. I am serious about protecting it, especially from "the boy."

My big dream is to get it signed by the other four members of the band. I just need to figure out how to do that. Whom to (lovingly and non-threateningly) stalk and beg.

All in due time. In the meantime, it's mine. And I'm a happy gal.

Not much else to report to the masses. Just happy. Happy happy. This should be a very busy weekend, filled with the returning teenaged malcontent daughter and hopefully some wicked good geocaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment