Saturday, June 25, 2005

Townies...

One of my co-workers can technically be classified as a townie in Marblehead, even though she no longer lives there. She knows everything, she knows everyone. Any time I need to know what is going on in Marblehead, she's my go to guy. I found out more information about Monday's funeral situation in Marblehead, and my worst fears could be realized. I also found out a little more about why his funeral is being protested, and like I said, I understand the mental inner workings of termites better than I understand the motivations of the coming picketers.

The picketers aren't protesting Christopher Piper's personal philosophy. They're protesting Massachusetts' legalization of gay marriage. So because he is from Massachusetts, they're protesting his funeral. It makes as much sense as if they came to picket at the funeral of an elderly woman who dies at age 90. Just because she lives in a state that legalized gay marriage. Christopher Piper didn't even live in Massachusetts anymore. He lived in North Carolina, according to my friend.

There will be a funeral service at Old North, and a parade up to the cemetery, which is near my office. My coworker told me that the town expects thousands of state troopers, army, navy, airforce and marines personnel to be in attendance. This is the first person from Marblehead to die during this war, and the town is going all out for him. Which also means, the whackjobs will be met with 10,000 push backs to their little pickets.

I hope they're prepared to not have their message heard. I get the feeling the army guys may just be... pissed. This should be interesting. We talked about whether we should go to the parade portion. I said I would play it by ear and see how things were going on Monday.


This weekend, we thought about going camping because Jessica was not going to be with us to whinge and complain about the outdoors. Then we found out there was Bullriding at the Topsfield Fairgrounds, and opted to go to that instead, coupled with geocaching with Michael and Jon today.

It is forecasted to be brutally hot, so I'm anticipating we'll take it easy, drink tons of water, ice the dogs, and generally have a good time. Funny how when we plan to cache or hike it gets monkey hot. Maybe I should just stop planning things.

I took a couple of pictures at the bull riding, but they didn't come out too sharp. I think it is time for me to upgrade my camera. I must do some research into what is best. This one is good for outdoors, hiking, beating on it. I'd like something sharper with a much better zoom and better functionality in lowlight settings... like BNL concerts or last night's bullriding arena.

So the best pictures I got were of the rodeo clown coming up into the stands to sit on the lady behind us. He was not as funny as he was last year. Same guy, same jokes, just not delivered with conviction.

Alright then -- gotta get red'up to go. I'm talkin' all rodeo like and whatnot.

No comments:

Post a Comment