Saturday, June 18, 2005

Turtle and a stretch of dangerous road

Today we geocached our mighty asses off. Found three and went to do site maintenance on another one. We participated in the safe road crossing of a turtle (Carlos Santana would have been very proud of us for loving the earth and being good creatures filled with love for others!). We were blasting down Lee Hook Rd. and Doug yells "Wow! Look at the turtle!" and bangs a U-turn and goes back to it. We got out, and the turtle had its head so far out of its shell that I couldn't believe my eyes. I've never seen a fully extended turtle neck like that before. He was sniffing the air and trying to figure out if he should cross or not.

We agreed that we would help him, but neither of us wanted to pick him up. Not because turtles are icky, but I was afraid of having my fingers chomped off, and Doug says that turtles carry salmonella on their bellies and shells and that if you're not able to immediately clean up you could regret the helping out activities later.

Knowing that a little girl in Florida was killed while trying to help a turtle cross the street, we kind of signalled to traffic to slow a bit as the little dude made his way across. Suddenly, another car passes and pulls over. This young Asian guy gets out and says "Hey! Are ya helping the turtle cross!?" He went and picked it up and carried it across the street. No fear of finger chomping or of salmonella on his part. He was beaming ... "It's good luck to help them cross," he tells us.

Yes it is. I wanted to hand him a quick-nap wipey thing, just to continue the good luck karma. Unfortunately I didn't have any.

I hope he washed his hands when he got home.

Well, Doug is making supper and I'm needing to help Jessie pack her stuff up. Friday morning Doug pointed out to me that we were mentally deranged if we thought we could take a night of rock and then drive Jessie to NY the following morning. I listened to his reasoning and fully agreed. So we're taking her down tomorrow.

More then.

No comments:

Post a Comment