Saturday, June 11, 2005

Warm Spell

Like I predicted, as I prognosticated, we went from 50 degrees to 90 degrees in like one week. It is brutally hot with no soft, gentle ramp-up to hot. And I'm cranky but... I gotta say. I prefer it to freezing my big A off. Bug spray and sweat while hiking beats regretting not putting that other fleece layer on a mile from the truck when the wind rips through my flesh.

I have been crazy busy at work, and crazy busy at home. There hasn't been much to update since my last writing, and I've been uninspired and sad. Focusing on my job has kept my mind off of sad.



Friday there was an end-of-year presentation at Geoff's school and at the exact same time the 7th grade award ceremony for Jessie. Doug went to hers, I went to Geoff's. Doug was reluctant to go, he didn't think parents were invited to this and Jessica said she didn't care if we came or not that it was stupid and a waste of time.

She got an award for French, and for something else that I cannot recall and she's gone to bed.

Geoff was well behaved in his presentation, but the heat and the noise really got to him after a while. Can't say as I blame him. After it was over we all went to all the classrooms and had snack. I had a long talk with his one-on-one aide and she told me that all the sped aide staff is being laid off in 2 weeks, and they may or may not be re-hired to their positions for the fall. I'm semi-freaking out, because if he does not have a one-on-one aide, third grade is going to be just as sucky as most of this year. The only saving grace this year was his 1-1 aide. Otherwise, it would be a wash in many ways in my opinion. I'm going to have to make some phone calls, and I'm incredibly glad I have not signed his IEP for next year. I'll hold that until I have a guarantee that someone will be assigned to my son. So help me, Jebus.


Today Jess is 13. We don't have anything planned for her for a party or any sort of marking of the occasion. She didn't want anything. She asked specifically for three things, two of which I could find, the third can wait. We may take her out to dinner.

Today she is going to her friend K's house to hang out while Doug and I lead a hike for the cub scout den. Yes. It is 90 billion degrees and we are taking the cub scouts on a wicked long hike. Thing is, they have to do this before Monday or they can't get their World Conservation badges... and only the boys who go will be receiving the badges.

It's a busy time of year and I wanted to make sure everyone could make time for this, so we planned it out and I tried to communicate with the parents clearly. I gave people plenty of notice that we were doing this. I asked specifically "does this date and time work for you. If it does not, please let me know and we can work something else out..." and NONE of the parents responded. So yesterday at the assembly I asked all but two kids' parents (I didn't see the other two). "Oh, yeah. he's got a baseball game at 1 so that doesn't work out."

Well, we could have left at 8 instead of 10 and he could have come with... why didn't you let me know?

"I forgot."

Okay. Whatever.

I don't think I'd be a good den mother. I think I'd get pissy because there is nothing I hate more than when people don't even respond at all, and the participation in the group is seen as something that is ancillary to the rest of life.

But my son will get his badge and we'll have a good hike, even with the heat. I just packed his lunch and have to stop and get plenty of water.

I think three out of nine boys will be there. Just as well. It might be hard to watch all nine on the trails. They are a nightmare when all nine of them are together.

Well, I'd best get my act together and get ready. I bought Geoff a bureau at a yard sale yesterday and it is in the back of the truck. Lots to do so I'd best do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment