Friday, July 15, 2005

Things I love about my job

I love my job. Have I told you that lately? This week was rough because I spent more than my fair share driving all over North America to drop the boy at camp and get to work and go back and get him and oh, yeah. Take Jessica all the way over there and then get Geoff to camp and then get to work... I think I put over 400 miles on my car alone in the past 3 days. It's not normal for me to do so. But. Even though I wasn't AT work a ton of time this week, I love work. We have Beverage Friday, sometimes it is simply Beer Friday. Sometimes it is Margaritas. MC and Captain and Coke today, and felt really weird putting the bottle of booze into his desk like he's the closet alkie. Beer is kept in the fridge, so there isn't any sitting in your desk drawer drawing aspersions towards the nature of your character.

I had Guinness tonight. It was "brilliant!" Mikey, you shoulda been there. It was a thing of beauty.

Anyway -- one of the features of Beverage Friday is blabbing. We chat. We talk. We get to know one another. Sometimes it is all business. How was your week? Did this go well? What is our plan for next week? Other times, like today, it's just jibber jabber about life, the universe and everything. C, MC, and JTF and I had a lot of fun talking about engagement rings and the philosophies of 2 months salary as a good price for a freaking ring. My ring cost less than 300 bucks, and it is lovely and perfect and wonderful, and you'll note that I'm too fat to wear it anymore (since having kids and getting extra squishy). Unless I get it resized, of course.

And while we were chatting, I continued to work. Scheduling the content. Gotta schedule the content. DL discovered that if you only programmed 1/3 of a week's content across one of the chains, it would break everything. So... I set to making sure 2 weeks from now's content was fully 100% scheduled across the board.

While chatting.

And you know what happened? I messed up. I put the wrong content on the wrong screens. And I'm glad I caught it. But it is official. I can no longer work during Beverage Friday. Unless everyone else is far, far away from me. I did okay until people came a'talkin'. And then I mussed the bed.

I stayed until about 6:15 fixing things, and kicking myself.

Duh.

What's on the agenda this weekend? Well, there was initial discussion of going to Vermont tomorrow and camping overnight. Not sure if we're going to do it or not. Jessica DESPERATELY wants to go to some bookstore at midnight tonight for the stupid Harry Potter book. I told her we'll wait five days when it will be on sale at Sam's Club for 70% off the cover price. And I so don't want to be in a bookstore at midnight with elevendy million squeeling pre- and post-pubescent kids.

I'd rather stick forks in my eyes.

So if we don't go to Vermont, I'm not sure what we'll do but I bet stalking Tupperware containers in the forest will come up as an option. Next weekend we go on vacation. I don't think I'll be sticking around for Beverage Friday next week. But we'll see how things go.

On that note. Jessica -- shut up. Go away. Stop reading over my shoulder.

No comments:

Post a Comment