Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Dickety!

I must say, I love me some Grampa Simpson. He cracks me up. If you don't like him I'll give you the glowering of a lifetime! Anyway -- not much to report but it seems like a lot going on. Work is busy, and my boss G brought on Amy to help. It's convenient for her because we're in the same town as where she lives (she came in this morning and sighed and said her commute was hell! That bitch! Ha kidding...). So she's managed in two part days to help me get a full day ahead of my regular life schedule. Normally I'd be done scheduling tomorrow. But I'm done today. Horray for Amy. So I stayed a little late at the office today getting organized for starting to schedule for the week beyond next, which will be more complicated and hairy than I've ever imagined... good thing G got us some Amy.

My parents have found a place to buy, so it seems, down in the Massachusetts Armpit (get out a map, look at it, realize that Cape Cod is Massachusetts flexing an arm muscle in a curl, and you'll be able to find the armpit) Region. They're down there now wheeling and dealing and negotiating and binding stuff. They're hoping to take possession of it September 1, if all goes well.

Which means my sister will be the only real reason for me to go to Long Island anymore. She isn't happy there, and with my mom moving, there will be less of a reason overall for her to sit there in that godforsaken hell hole of a place where the least expensive house is a $599,000 "tear down" that you get .12 acres of land and have to build a whole new house on the spot. Nice.

So there are hemmings and hawings in the world about where she and R should head next. I hope it is somewhere wicked cool. Or somewhere she'll be incredibly happy.

Not "New Jersey with Palm Trees..." aka Florida.

Anyway, Grandma and Grampa were supposed to be here tonight, but their massive purchase situation makes it so they'll come here tomorrow. Gave me a reprieve on vacuuming under the couch. Whew. I can do it tonight, if I don't fall asleep first!

Today when I got to work there was a little bird sitting on the ground near the glass doors to the building. He was just sitting there, and had just enough room where he was positioned to not get hit by the door (and crushed). I tried to shoo him out of the corner, but he flopped around and tried to fly into the glass. I realized then that he was either injured or immature... and couldn't fly.

So I picked him up.

I held him, his little heart beating like mad against my hand. He walked on my fingers and chirped. He was perfectly happy hanging out on my hand. I thought he was pretty awesome. I called my buddy M in the office and told him to come down and see what I had. He was a touch freaked out by it, but also thought it was kind of cool. We realized he must have fallen out of the nest up in the 40 above our office door, way way up above our office door.

And there was no way I could get him back up there. I could hear mom (presumably) chirping for him, and I put him in a bush beside the door and hoped for the best. He chirped. very loudly when I set him down, but there really wasn't anything I could do for him. I walked away, totally worried about him and wondering if I should call animal control or the Audobon Society for some advice.

I went back an hour later to check on him, convinced I'd make him a Shoebox Bird if he was sitting there still. But. He was gone. He wasn't on the ground, or under a car dead, or smooshed in the glass doors. No feathers or obvious signs of cat attack... so I'm hoping some other feathered friend gave him a lesson on how to get back up, way way up, to the 40 nest.

Sometimes, I'm a wicked softie. Sniff. Go little birdie! Go!

I have pictures of birdie on my camera, and have to figure out how the hell to get them off of there, so you can see him. And my bee sting. And some other junk.

Welcome to nature's freakin' journal.

Right then. Well, it being late, I need to figure out what to feed my family. I'll gab at yinz later.

No comments:

Post a Comment