Sunday, October 23, 2005

Out from under a rock and Doug changing jobs...

When there is nothing to say except "I've been working a lot" this journal tends to suffer. But because I don't write about my job (having learned some good hard lessons) that means most of what happens to me is not blog fodder. Suffice to say, when I get home here, the last place I want to sit is in front of another computer screen.

I've come down with a headcold. Saturday morning I woke up with a suffy nose and killer sore throat and I'm on meds to keep this at bay. Remind me not to lick your face when I see you, okay? Don't want you to catch this.

We keep the heat off in the house for as long as we can all stand it, and that moment came last night and it was 48 degrees in our livingroom. Nice. So the heat is on, the fleece is wrapped around me, and I'm needing a cup of tea.

My feeling like death didn't stop us from geocaching yesterday. The past four weekends we've been kooped up with each other and Doug didn't want another weekend indoors. We headed into southern Maine because the forecast said that if we stayed here or went south it would rain on us.

The forecast was 100% correct. It was cloudy and cold in the Sanford area, but no rain until we got on the road to come home and got to Portsmouth. We also stopped at Yummies, which is this obscenely well stocked candy store in Kittery on Rte 1 north of the shops. We each bought one bag of our favorites (I got peanut brittle, Geoff got chocolate covered pretzels, Jess got gummi bears and Doug got Pecan Bark) and we shared the snack as we rode home in the rain.

Yesterday was a nice day.

Today it's going to be all about laundry. Folding that which is clean and languishing in baskets, and washing that which has become dirty since last weekend. I posted flickr pictures from yesterday. Here is my favorite. Click the picture and go to the photo page for the large version. It's really cute.

jack running


I think Doug is going to be changing jobs.

He had a recent discussion with his management which resulted in them offering him more money and a different place to work because he isn't feeling the love where he is. I thought their offer was generous, but they told him before he accepts it, consider other options and see what's best for him but they're willing to work at retaining him.

He got an offer within 2 days of starting his search for an obscene amount of money. The only problem is he'll have to split his time between two nursing homes and they're kind of far apart, so his life won't be as flexible as it is now.

But it is a HUGE amount of money. So much so that I almost started laughing. Not only is it a crazy amount of money, they'll give him a signing bonus of like 2500 dollars right up front.

I'm totally in the wrong field. So I am now in a position where I think I have to hire an after school day care person to help us out. I don't want to. I liked how we were managing our family time with him early one day, me early another, babysitter from upstairs and then Jessie watching Geoff for 2 days. There is no way I can leave work at 2pm daily to be the one who gets home. If he accepts this job, he may take his 2 weeks vacation as time instead of pay out that way he has a little time to catch up on some things that I'm not riding his ass about. And then he'll start the other job. He bought XM radio today because he's going to most likely be spending 3 hours a day in the car. Now I want one.

No comments:

Post a Comment