Thursday, November 24, 2005

Tryptophan Coma

Wow. It is 10:30. Why am I awake? It is because my kids are awake, and I somehow find it terribly difficult to turn in before them, especially the boy. I am often afraid they'll get into a fight. Or start eating more and more food until they explode like Mr. Creosote.

I actually am pleased with myself that this thanksgiving I don't feel like Mr. Creosote, nor am I really in a tryptophan coma. I'm actually feeling relaxed and joyful this evening. And it is a nice feeling. Although tomorrow morning I have to unfortunately take time to go up and get Geoff some new glasses because his prescription has changed. This means I must fight the traffic filled with all these 3am shopping extravaganza maniacs. And that is something I do not relish.

Doug has to work. Because he has a new job and is in a probationary period, he doesn't get vacation time, or holiday pay, until 180 days after the date of hire. This does not bode will with Geoff who thinks we all will be going somewhere fun for April School vacation week. We shan't. This will truly suck.

But aside from the fact I don't have my husband around to entertain me tomorrow, I have a great deal to be thankful for. I won't go into a sappy Thanksgiving what I'm thankful for thing. God and love and happiness and time to reflect and yadda yadda. Meh. You don't want to hear that. Long time readers know where I stand. After four full years of Thanksgiving blogging, I'm pretty much thankful for everything that you know I am thankful for.

I will simply say the following, that in a nutshell this year the following are gifts from God:

  • I'm thankful that my mom and dad have found a new, safer place to live this year. Hallelujah. Hallefreakinlujah.
  • I'm happy and thankful that Linda has a job, and has totally overcome her fear of big dogs and currently lives with one (with Ronnie, whom I am thankful for as well).
  • I am totally thankful for Jessica having some really good friends and the sensibility to not want to run around with them all the time, but to quietly and of her own accord stay home with us.
  • I'm thankful that she doesn't always cry when we go geocaching.
  • I am insanely thankful that she has discovered a talent that she puts to amazing use, and wish nothing but fun for her in the future. I'd like her to be spared some of the social problems that come with theatre (ie: backbiting stage bitches who'll sooner rip her hair out than be nice to her face) but I know, deep down, she's the kind of kid who has the intestinal fortitude to deal with all kinds of bullshit. I raised her that way. God bless her in her walk as she develops who she is becoming.
  • I'm thankful for Geoff, for even though I find him frustrating at times I also know that there isn't a boy on earth meant for me to parent more than he is.
  • And I'm thankful that he loves football and learned to ride a bike.
  • I am thankful for his school, and for the nice relationship I'm building with his new ass't principal. Hopefully he'll stay for longer than a year. We've had a rough go with changes on Team Geoffrey in the school, and it would be nice to pull some stability with us into fourth grade.
  • I'm thankful that Amy is able to come work in our office and have fun with us. She's a good egg and she makes me laugh. And she saves my ass some serious time.
  • I am thankful her brother doesn't see me as a total psycho stalker on Flickr.
  • I'm thankful that my office is freaking fun, and challenging, and a good place to work and that I get along with everyone save for a few minor personality issues which are mostly problems only because I am too sensitive sometimes.
  • I'm thankful for my boss G, that she understands the parenting of a special needs kid.
  • I'm thankful to have money coming in, because this time two years ago I was terrified we'd lose the house.
  • I'm thankful for continued bloggy friendships with many lovely and talented people, and that I met a few more interesting and wonderful people this year.
  • Above all the folks I've met, I'm especially in love with him and their dog and love spending time with them, geocaching, playing, eating, talking... everything. I wish they lived next door to me instead of so far away.
  • K had brain surgery this summer, and I'm thankful that she survived, that her vision so far seems to slowly be recovering, that her parents make me laugh and they're working on being strong.
  • I'm very thankful that K's mom and K will join us for BNL next week (oh holy crap -- one week from tonight! SQUWEEEEEEEEEE!)
  • I am very very thankful for BNL and all the joy their music brings me. Love those guys.
  • I'm thankful for my tenants, that they're really cool and not heroin dealer psycho maniacs. I'm thankful for my neighbors even though once in a while (see office bit about sensitivity up there) they get on my nerves. For the most part I think they have hearts of gold and baby, that's all we need sometimes.
  • I am thankful that Aaron is a strong part of our lives even as his life is changing in ways that we can't help or prevent. At least he keeps us close by phone, and talks to us, and shares with us, and it makes our relationship stronger. Love him like a brother and would trust him with my life.
  • I am thankful to you, dear reader, for showing up here all the time. Thanks!

There were a few things that happened this year that I'd like to forget. There was loss and heartache. But all in all. There is a lot to be thankful for. Hopefully that wasn't too too sappy for a Thanksgiving entry. Now, it is 11pm, and my bum is asleep in this not so comfy chair, and I should head to bed.

Happy thanksgiving to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment