Friday, September 22, 2006

Furbending

One of our favorite shows is Avatar: The Last Airbender. Yes. I realize that I am almost 40 years old and one of my personal favorite things to watch is a kid's cartoon. I'm also a big fan of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, but that's an entry to itself. The kids and I watch it every chance we get. And the third season started this week, with a bang. I'm so psyched to see what happens next.

My street cred just dropped about 100,000 points, didn't it? Anyway.

The other night, Jess and I wanted the dogs to come to us. So I assumed a martial arts-ish stance and moved my arms around, bringing my hands artfully towards me saying "Come to me, dogs." Two of them did. I said "I am a master fur bender."

Which cracked Jessica up beyond all imagination.

Street cred? Vanishing as I type. I know. I know.

So Jess and I talked about it on the porch, in the cold autumn air. What other forms of Fur Bending can there be? Well, you can Fur Bend your dogs away while you are trying to eat dinner. Or you can Fur Bend the big piles of dog hair into the dust pan with your sweeper when the beasts have shed enough hair to create a fourth (or fifth) dog.

There are many forms of Fur Bending. And I need to start doing a little of that immediately so I can get out the door and go to work. Dogs must be Fur Bent (bended?) into their kennels for the day.

This entry is short and sweet, and I am writing it mostly to say that the First Season of Avatar is now available on DVD.

I highly recommend renting it if you are somewhere looking for a video. Or, if you're ever at a loss for something to watch and you come across it.

I am waiting for mine to come in the mail. I pre-ordered it from Amazon, and it was released Tuesday so I'm all like "Where IS my DVD!?" Oh, and that sound was the last shred of any coolness I've ever had vanishing into the ether. I accept that. It is my fate and my position in life to embrace my inner nerd.

It is serial in design, so coming in on the middle can be confusing. Who are these kids? What's with that arrow on that guy's head? How'd that jerky Fire Kingdom kid get that huge scar across his eye. Why is his uncle such a goof ball and why are they in exile? What happens next! Before you know it, you're hooked. Like me. And you'll be bending things other than fire, air, water and earth.

So check it out -- if you enjoy animation, dramedy, overtly Buddhist/Asian themes applied to daily life and how one will make it through the bad times, and all kinds of good stuff... you'll thank me later.

Time to fur bend! More later, I promise -- I had a whole big thing to write about the Massachusetts Democratic Primary but it is moot now. And I gave blood Tuesday night and have some funny anecdotes from that which include Girl Scouts. Stay tuned, I'll get back to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment