Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Burn and Rave at End of Day

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
-Dylan Thomas

You know you've probably made a bad color choice when even your 10 year old son wants to score off of you with a big zing.

Hair!I got up Sunday morning and it was as if Geoff had been waiting for me to get out of bed for hours. No sooner had I spoken "good morning Geoff" did he fire back with "what up, deep purple?"

Like he thought about it all night and it was eating him alive that he had to wait for me to get out of bed to deliver that burn.

Jeesh.

It isn't as pink or orange as I thought it would be, but it certainly isn't natural. Which, you know, I was going for.

So far the consensus is that it is more light auburn/orange than pink... in the sunlight. Whatever. It's not grey. I'll dye my hair truly deep purple to cover this crap up if I have to, I've decided. Enough with the growing old gracefully crap I've been swallowing.

I drank the Kool-Aid for far too long. Let's do 10 years of fighting, and then at 50 let my hair go gentle into that good night.


This is just a quick one to say hi and post the photo (and show off my mad poem skillz, yo. Using Dylan Thomas in a journal entry... that's so incredibly... passé).

Doug has had a job change of sorts. The nursing home he was with was bought by another company. He was going to two homes for a long time. The new company assigned him to a new one, and took away the one he really liked, but he got to keep the one close to home.

He could have quit but decided to take the path of least resistance and go with the flow and the new change.

He said a lot of "red flags" went off for him about the new assignment, even before it started, but he just didn't want to make the effort to drop the ball and run, or to start hunting. He figured it would be an okay change.

A week after being back from vacation he was convinced he'd made the wrong choice. So... he sat down yesterday and let them know that he'd stay on at the one nursing home close to home for 25 hours a week, and was going to drop the new assignment, the one that was making him miserable.

They let him do it.

And now, he will start looking for per diem work. He doesn't need benefits (because I get them) he makes a great salary when he works hourly... so yeah. It's alright.

I just need for him to find something that brings him joy, that doesn't make him miserable (and trust me, from what it sounded like, this new assignment was indeed the suck), and brings in more money. In the meantime, I transfer some funds over from savings to take a bit of the burden off of the checking account and we go forward.

With pink hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment