Friday, May 25, 2007

Towel Day is upon us!

"Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again. Many people have speculated that if we knew exactly why the bowl of petunias had thought that we would know a lot more about the nature of the universe than we do now."
-Douglas Adams


Do not forget -- Today is Towel Day! In honor of Douglas Adams.
Do you have your towel? You know I gots mine!

May 25 , 2007 - Towel Day is upon us!

Dang. I let my daughter leave for school without her towel. Now HOW is she going to nerd it up at school? Tell me. How. She didn't wear a pi t-shirt on Pi Day... and now she has no towel. She's losing her geek street cred.

To be fair, I had just woken up and was dealing with Geoff, who was irritated beyond all imagination that there is no butter, peanut butter, jelly or cream cheese in the house for his toast. Any other day of the year he'd gladly eat it plain, but today he decides to make a huuuuuuge deal about it. He started playing his flute this morning at 6:30. No trucks used their Jake Brakes today but every dog on the street decided to start barking at around 5, so this morning has been chaos for my ears and nerves.

So Jess is towel-less thanks to my lack of parental supervision. I hope she survives the day. Perhaps I should drive over to the school in my pyjamas and unkempt hair screaming "YOUR TOWEL! You forgot your towel!" and run throug the parking lot in my flip flops frantically waving it over my head.

Perhaps not.

For memory's sake, here's a photo from the archives:

towel day on moving day 2006

One year ago tonight at about 11:30pm I took my picture with my towel after taking the hottest, longest shower ever (until the next day, when I took the hottest, longest shower ever after the big move).

I look bloated and tired, but I was confident that we were in good shape for the move. Boy, was I ever wrong. Holy crap was I ever wrong.

Tomorrow is the anniversary of our big and quite horrible move. One year. And many a towel has been around the neck of this hitchiker during that year's time. Hopefully many more will adorn me through the coming years here.


In other news, another Jess has helped me again with the feed thing. She taught me how to update the xml file and it takes about 12 hours to see the change if you're using bloglines. If you subscribed in the past, unsubscribe and resubscribe, and let me know if you have problems. Peter had difficulty with google reader, but bloglines worked fine for me. So I'd like to know who out there is getting on okay with the subscription thing. I feel so 21st century, even though I'm still a Dreamweaver using blogger.

Additionally, the other day I mentioned that we upgraded our DirectTV to the DVR. I don't know what we were thinking not doing this sooner. It is tremendous. I'm no longer trapped by what is being served up by "the man." If there is nothing good on, now I've got 8 episodes of Deadliest Catch to go through and can do so without the commercials. Doug recorded an afternoon marathon's worth of No Reservations, so we watched them all back to back the other night. And even though I can sit here on the PC and watch Mr. Meaty, I can now watch five or six episodes and laugh at the misadventures of my favorite fast food puppets.

The kids went nuts and checked off about eight million things to record. Which is funny when I'm actually watching live TV and the system tells me it needs to kick me off so it can tape another show. There are only 2 tuners in our version, so one records while you watch live TV or both record. I had to educate them that I may be cancelling stuff they're recording if I'm actually watching something "for real."

It's fun though -- I can't believe we have lived without it for so long. We're such luddites.

Anyway -- it's memorial day weekend. I double booked myself for a lunch date with my friend Keri to sign Jess up for her Shakespeare camp this summer, and didn't realize we were having lunch at Gretchen's house today. Hmmm. Good thing that I have little hanging over my head today and can run and meet Keri briefly and then go enjoy lunch with my office bitches.

I have a lot to do here this weekend and Doug is looking at stone for the patio today. Who knows... we may be laying some rock down at some point and gettin'er done.

Alright -- I'm off. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment