Friday, June 01, 2007

Happy Anniversary

"Through the years, you've never let me down. You turned my life around.
The sweetest days I've found, I've found with you ...
Through the years I've never been afraid, I've loved the life we've made.
And I'm so glad I've stayed, right here with you, Through the years."
-Kenny Rogers

Oh my Lord, I'm quoting Kenny Rogers for my anniversary entry. What have I become? I've lost my street cred. But... I'm sorry -- I can't help if the lyrics are apt and there isn't really a good BNL or Guster song to illustrate with for the Quote of the Moment.

Kenny Rogers has a point. The sweetest days I've found, I've found with Doug. Yesterday was our 16th wedding anniversary. We went out to dinner with the kids and came home. We picked Thai food, and enjoyed a delicious meal. Doug even bought "Chili Fish" which was a giant striped bass... and at the end of the meal I said "Thanks for catching me a delicious bass" a la Napoleon Dynamite. The kids laughed. Geoff toasted us with his water glass and all told it was a wonderful night out.

I love my husband -- I love our family. Between all the nights of dogs pissing in my bed, horrible experiences while moving house, and other ghastly events, there have been plenty of days where we've done nothing but had fun, we've done nothing but enjoyed ourselves, we've toasted one another, drank a lot of wine, laughed at each others' jokes and are bringing up kids who laugh at our jokes and crack jokes that make us laugh.

We've had a lot of fun. I can't imagine what my life would be like if I hadn't met him by accident outside the mail room at Gordon College in late 1986.

Thanks honey. Happy anniversary.


I told Geoff that we were all going out to dinner, and he wanted to know why Doug and I just didn't go out by ourselves, why THEY (meaning himself and his sister) had to come... I said that if anyone should celebrate our anniversary, the two of them should be first on the list because if we'd never gotten married, they never would have been born. So they need to thank us, celebrate, and just eat some Panang Duck and shut up already.

Geoff's retort was classical Geoff -- "Come on. You guys didn't have to get married, you could have just been a single mother and you could have raised two kids. Women do that all the time. It's no big deal..."

I told him that isn't my style, that I wouldn't have gotten pregnant in the FIRST place if I weren't already married. So I guess that made sense to him. But I do think it is funny that his perception is that it is okay to not be married and still be ... pregnant and raising babies.

I think he got it, because he raised that toast to us so lovingly. Thanks Geoff.

A lot of my friends have done it (congrats to Ben and Amy who welcomed Emma this week...) and yes, women do it all the time. It is true. But that wasn't our style, and Jess and Geoff wouldn't be here today if on June 1, 1991 Doug and I hadn't gotten married. So there.

I plan on scanning some pictures of our wedding and putting them into Flickr at some point. One of the many projects I've not gotten to.


Speaking of projects, I'm off to buy centerpice makings for our Bridal Shower next weekend. I want to have these all done by tomorrow night, that way all I have to do is drive them down and not think about it. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment