Thursday, February 07, 2008

Lost my Liberry, Update on my Nephew

I bought an external hard drive last night and I think I've permanently screwed up my entire life, or at least the iTunes portion of life. Unless you, dear reader, have any sage suggestions.

My PC is about 5 years old. It is full. All 70 gb of storage is full. I keep burning stuff to CD to back it up and get it off the PC. I finally said "this is stupid" and went out and visited Staples. I bought 350 gb of storage space for 99 bucks. Hell, a whole new computer with that much storage space would cost me a pantload of money. This morning, I started pulling content over into the fresh new drive. I cleared off about 4 gb of stuff and could already feel the hard drive on my ole beastie thanking me.

Unfortunately, I'd dragged over the entire iTunes directory for our iTunes liberry. No problem, thought I, I will just open iTunes and tell it where my liberry lives. I changed the c:/blah blah blah/iTunes/iTunes music/ directory to f:/my music/iTunes/iTunes music and thought "that's that!"

But my iTunes liberry is empty. I rebooted the PC. It is still empty. So I moved the liberry back and told iTunes that it is back at c:/blah blah blah etcetera, but it doesn't like that.

It doesn't believe me. iTunes doesn't think I have a liberry anymore. And I'm pissed.

I went to work and was hella busy previewing next week's content and saying "That's What She Said!" a bunch of times with My Girl C (oh, how we laughed), and getting kicked out of the conference room where I preview so folks can have a meeting, and didn't have time to sit and look up what the deal was. All told, I'm confused. I hope that I can re-convince iTunes that my liberry does indeed exist, and make it SEE my content.

And Like I Said... any sage advice is appreciated. Jess has bought like 40gb of music over the last 5 years (and I've bought like 10 gb). So yeah. I turn to the greater community of those who know more, and ask your guidance. Help a sista out.

In the meantime, had I not done that I could say I'm 100% fully stoked, pleased and satisfied with the little external drive. Damn. It is fast as a thumbdrive, and holds buckets of stuff, and I'm moving shit over there and dancing a happy dance of happiness. So all told, it's not a bad thing. I just wish I had noticed what I was doing before I did it.

Many of you have dropped taunting little emails over the past few days asking if I'm still alive or not after the Patriots' stunning loss to the Giants.

Well, first off -- it's just a game. I've ranted on that before, back with the Red Sox and Manny being Manny and being 100% right in his attitude that it is just a game.

Second, I'm sad they lost, but to be honest, it was a hell of a good game. Knowing my brother in law was totally happy with it made me happy. And life goes on. I'm disappointed, it was shocking because I totally thought the Pats were a better team... but no one expected this, and no one gave the Giants any credit. So kudos to them. There's always next year.

I enjoyed spending the last five minutes on the phone with my sister, watching it with her. Both of us were like "oh no, oh no, oh no, oh no!" and freaking out totally, but we were together, even though we were miles apart. It was fun.

On Tuesday I went to vote.

Many of you did as well, I'm sure. I had a really hard time picking who I wanted to vote for, and seeing as I'm still registered Republican (thought I'd changed to Unenrolled when we changed our address, but I found I was mistaken when I walked up to the check in desk) I was left with choices I didn't relish. I won't get into details... it's not important.

The thing that was really surprising for me was that I had to wait in line.

See, we live in a really small town. Usually by 7pm you walk right up, tell them your name (and I think it is criminal that you don't have to show ID to vote but that is just one person's opinion...) and you vote and leave. There are about 6800 people in my town.

All of them were on line at 7pm when I showed up. Or, it felt that way. The line snaked around the building and almost to the library. Shocking!

I've never had to wait in a line longer than five people to vote in the 12 or so years I've lived here. I was excited to see people out voting. Most of the time less than 1000 of the nearly 6800 people who live here show up to vote, so I was really pleasantly surprised and happy to see about 2000 people had come before me.

Waiting in line was worth it. Although, if it is going to be like this for the actual presidential election in November, I'm going to volunteer to help. The line could have been managed better, they could have set it up slightly differently so that the line snaked around the inside of the building and people entered the hall from the BACK door, so folks could stand inside instead of outside. I would like to make some suggestions to my town on how to do things a tad better, more ... efficiently. And seeing as the average age of the volunteers is 90, perhaps having a 41 year old helper will inject a little life into the process. Those oldsters, they're nice and all but man are they slow. That's why the line was so long... there were 5 people inside voting, 900 outside waiting... 30 booths empty.

I'm gonna help out. This much I know.

In other news, I owe you an update on our boy Craig, our nephew.

His surgery went very well according to a very long and I won't share it without permission email from my sister in law.

So thank you all very much for the kind notes and emails and calls and comments about the little guy. I'm so happy to know that the greater community out there was praying for him and loving him and lifting him up over those days.

Pray for his continued healing, and that he won't have to do this again. Ever.

And at the same time, give thanks that it even can happen, that surgery like this can be done in this day and age...

I guess that's about it. This weekend we have Geoff's final Pinewood Derby. His car is painted and drying in the basement. We add the final touches tomorrow and take it to be weighed at 6pm. Race time is at 9am on Saturday. Geoff is just a couple of weeks away from finishing his Cub Scout career, and will bridge over to Boy Scouts on March 2nd... He's achieved all the necessary goals to reach the "Arrow of Light" in Cub Scouts, and then some. I must say I'm truly proud of him for sticking with this. 19 months ago he wanted to quit, wasn't taking it at all seriously, wouldn't take care of his uniform or anything, and now he's really back into it... I have a feeling we'll go back and forth a couple times over the next few years, but I'm hoping he'll stick with Boy Scouts for a while. He says he wants to Eagle. I'll be happy if he makes it to Star. Really happy.

Alright then... I guess that's about it. I'm off to bed. I'm incredibly exhausted and have the startings of a cold with sinus infection (Doug is in full-blown sinusitis right now) so I want to get some sleep. Last night all of those storms that wrecked Tennessee and Arkansas and Kentucky hit our neighborhood. All we got were thunderstorms mixed in sleet, hail, freezing rain. Lucky for us. I was worried about Keifel and Vic in their little corner of Nashville. The thunderstorms made the dogs bark and bark, for hours... it started at 11pm and they were still freaking out around 2am. I think I slept a bit in between thunderclaps and barks, so tonight I'm hoping for a deep, restorative sleep.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment