Sunday, March 23, 2008

"And now,” said Aslan presently, “to business. I feel I am going to roar."

Happy Easter everyone. I've got a miserable head cold and while nowhere NEAR as drugged up (and consequentially funny) as The Bloggess is. I do feel as if I am blogging under the influence (BUI). We are having our usual incredibly low-key holiday over here.

Oh! Before I forget -- Jessica's trip with Rebel Shakespeare has been getting some press. The biggest article so far is on Wicked Local. You can read it here. And if you want to know what it is she's doing, this article explains a lot about the program... and I love these kid.

Onward with entry...

We went to church, which actually was a lot of fun, and came home and Geoff and I dyed Easter eggs which Jessica is promptly peeled and turned into deviled eggs. I am not sure that is a really good Easter message, what with the beauty of colored eggs instantly being thrashed and turned to "devil"ed anything... read into it what you will and perhaps chuckle.

Jess made Llyod's Barbecue Ribs and cornbread for dinner while I curled up on the couch and played Ratchet and Clank "Deadlocked," a game I've beaten 20 times but still always enjoy revisiting when I just want something to keep me awake or when I just want to blow shit up. It's the best. I'm a huge fan of the "Ratchet" brand...

It was a nice enough day, we could have gone hiking but didn't because Doug and I feel so meh. We didn't drive down to the Cape to see my parents because we're so sick... hate to visit someone with what is something akin to the plague. We also watched what could be the worst movie I've ever seen, ever... Leprechaun 4: In Space. Oh, the horrors. I wasn't sure if I was awake and witnessing the worst movie ever, or asleep and having one of the worst dreams I've ever had.

So all told it has been quite quiet (two words I love writing besides each other). It has been an enjoyable Easter, one in which I've had time to spend talking to my son about sacrifice, "good turns" done for others, and why Good Friday is called Good Friday ("I mean, it's not exactly Good for Jesus, is it?" ponders Geoff).

But all told, I take great joy in the quiet solitude we have here as a unit. The time we spent arguing over whether or not Jess should take AP History (she says no, Doug says yes), and listening to Geoff play a song that he wrote called 'Friend of God' as he's pondering a lot of this Easter business.


This Easter it is hard for me to embrace the concepts. I am driving around town, and I see Christmas wreathes still hung on doors, dry and fire hazardy. I see St. Patty's Leprechaun (ugh, suddenly thinking of that horrid movie) banners and flags and pots o'gold hanging on people's doors, and I see pretty little easter egg trees and wreathes of forcythia and banners with lilies on them decking porches. It's a horrible clash of events this time of year, with Easter so early.

Combine that with someone dressed up for Purim and my head would just explode.

So I feel under prepared to embrace the Easter season this year. But every Spring, usually when the tulips start to come up and every last vestage of snow is gone from the ground, I smile inside and say "Aslan is on the move."

I like to read "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe." I greatly enjoy the message, the concept of "deeper magic" that exists in the world, the good turn that Aslan does for the "sinner" Edmund, how Lucy and Susan are his Mary Magdelene, how he rises and shakes that chopped mane in defiance to The Witch and gives out his mighty roar.

If you've never read it, or are unfamiliar with it, I suggest picking it up. I mean, I could tell you to read the Gospel of John, but ... this has a talking LION in it for cryin' out loud. How much cooler does that get!? None. None much cooler.

In all seriousness, do it. Don't watch scary leprechaun movies. Read the book and wonder. And feel your soul ready for a great big roar. And a romp.

Spring is just what is needed around here. And I'm sure that a resurrection of spirit will be bound to happen once the crocus pop up from the ground and New England gets to feel the joy of warm sun again.


No matter your faith, your religion, your standing -- I hope today was a good day for you. That each day going forward you embrace something good and kind and wonderful.

And for those of you who celebrate the risen Lord. "Allelujah. He is risen." "Christ is risen indeed, Allelujah," is what I say to you. Allelujah indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment