Saturday, April 18, 2009

Guster @ UNH!!!

Once April hit us here at the way out in, the doldrums and laziness of late winter were washed away and we hit the ground running. Sometimes in life, I don't update because I don't have much to say. Other times, it is because there is so much to say that I can't find the time or words. Right now I'm in the middle of one of those times.

Easter was cold but sunny, and church was nice. My kids are too old for the Easter bunny thing, so they (well, mostly Geoff because Jess played aloof and uncaring) helped hide eggs inside the sanctuary and then helped the little wee kids find them. I had my camera, and had an amazing time taking pictures of the 10 or so little ones who were there.

2 dozen easter eggs...We didn't go anywhere or do anything ... we stayed home, had a nice ham, and just relaxed together.

Since Doug has been working on Saturdays, I've felt like we've had no time together like that so it felt nice to just do nothing together. I dyed eggs with the kids, and it's something that I'm glad that it is something they have not gotten sick of doing, and we had a wonderful time.

The week went by pretty quickly. Thursday night I took Jess and another friend to see Guster at UNH.

guster

It was a general admission show, and I was wary about doing that because GA shows are very out of control. We got there exceptionally early and scored some really great seats up off the floor where the band was easily seen. We were as close as we could get without going into the viper's den.

As I suspected, the floor indeed get insane. The college student ticket was 5 bucks so there were a lot of people who didn't know the band who were just there to be crazy. And I was also pleasantly surprised at how many people knew the songs, the big hits. the Fa Fas and the 4, 3, 2, 1, and ping pong balls were flying.

Then, the crowd surfing started.

About five songs into the show I saw the first. At one point I counted 20 people up there flying around. Heads and torsos dropping and legs akimbo, girls, guys, arms flailing. Damn. This is a GUSTER concert, not Red Hot Chili Peppers or something.

Ryan asked the crowd if they were okay with the grope machine and the audience went nuts. They did a little impromptu song, which I think they picked up doing from Barenaked Ladies, about the University of New Hampshire Grope Machine and how everyone was taking a long ride on it. There was more crowd surfing, more chaos, and I sat in my seat watching from a safe distance, knowing that at 42 I'd made the right choice.

No grope machine for me. I did take a video of the song, and will post it to youtube a little later.

The band sounded awesome. This was their first headliner show in almost a year due. 3/4ths of them had babies last year. Adam Gardner said something about how he'd been changing diapers for 11 months and this felt good.

All told, it was probably the best Guster show I've seen ever (out of 5) and I cannot wait to see them again. The did three new songs, all were great, and I am looking forward to the new album with great joy. Long live my Gusters!

Today, I'm home after running some errands. I have to go out and get a big veggie platter for my scout's Eagle court of honor this afternoon. Geoff is already up there doing work and getting things ready. I just can't forget to bring a change of clothing for him.

I'm very excited for the kid getting his Eagle. He's a great guy, I love him, and I know how much he gives the troop and the other kids. He is sticking around to be an adult leader now that he is 18, and I appreciate all that he does for my son and the other boys. I know how hard he has worked, I'm really proud of what he's done. This party will be a great time. And I know Geoff is watching this and thinking of his future as possibly being an Eagle too.

In other Boy Scout News, I am now the troop chaplain. I suggested we needed one, because none of the boys are working on that "A Scout is reverent" part of their law. Everyone on the committee agreed and our Scoutmaster said that it was something that he wanted to have put into place over the last couple of years but wasn't sure who would be good for the role. I'm looking forward to it. The clincher for me when I was thinking about volunteering was when I asked my kids and husband none of them laughed at me. so that was a good vote of confidence.

Tomorrow, we're going shooting.

I have a friend who is a member of a rod and gun club and an avid shooter. I have always wanted to go shooting, and I knew he is willing to take new shooters out, so I asked him if he'd take me to the range. Doug and I are both going, and I'm looking forward to it. I will, of course, let you know how that goes. And then in the evening we're meeting some missionaries from Bolivia who are with the agency my sister in law and her husband work for. They are staying with my friends Gary and Missy, thank God for them having the space to host them... whew! So I'll let you know how that goes too.

Well, I've gotta get myself going up to the Eagle court area to help set up and what have you. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment