Thursday, September 26, 2002

field trip photos, gardening

Last night I wanted to take the kids to see Jonah, the Veggie Tales movie but a quick look through the Boston.com movie listings didn't have a mention of its existence. No review, no showtimes anywhere in the state. So we went to see Spy Kids 2, which wasn't as good as Spy Kids 1 in my mind. It had its moments, and Antonio Banderas ... has gorgeous eyes and the greatest nose in movies today (yes, greater than my adoration for Owen Wilson's nose. Banderas' nose is small, perfect, perky. Beautiful.).

But I digress. I could have sworn that the TV commercials I've seen have the movie out on October 4. Even the trailer in the Spy Kids 2 previews have it released on October 4.

I just went to the Jonah webpage and there is a link to Fandango, the movie ticket purchase site. According to them, the movie isn't showing within 40 miles of a search radius of my house. Which I find hard to believe. The Fandango site says it is "Playing Everywhere!"

Uh, no. Liar pants.

So I went to the official "Big Idea" Website, and they have a full listing with phone numbers of ALL the theatres showing the movie, and a note saying Fandango only shows movie listings for that particular weeks worth of showings.

The list cracked me up -- It is showing all over the Bible Belt, the southwest and California, but not here in the nearly Godless Commonwealth, or anything North of Virginia or East of Ohio!

But the site says that October 18th is the second roll out of the film, so hopefully that'll be in our neighborhood, three theatres near us are marked with the October 18th asterisks.


Today I slept in late. Geoff played in the livingroom with his LeapPad reading system. For hours. Last week I'd bought him a new Superman reading book for the LeapPad and he's played with it constantly since.

The batteries finally died on the thing, and he came in and woke me up to change them.

Then Jessica got up and they started to fight. Sleeping time was over.

We went and picked up medicine at the vet for Kinger, as we were out totally. We went and bought some mums, planted them. They are huge. I had two that I have no idea what to do with, so I put them in pots on the porch. I am not a big fan of mums, but they are hearty and they come back every year. I am a lazy gardener I guess. So these ones are big and perky, purple and white. It feels like fall at my house, and I'll be sad when the tomatoes, petunias, morning glories and snapdragons are fully dead. Sigh.

Our floral efforts this year were pretty lame. The vegetables paid off big time. But for some reason none of our flowers did well, except the six huge sunflowers I planted behind the house in the full heavy sun. They were extraordinary. I wanted to take a picture of them, but we ended up losing them in a wind storm. I didn't tie them up against the fence.

But they were there and glorious, for a while.


Here are some of the pictures from the field trip and the past couple days of our existence, including a quick geocache that we went on when Doug got out of work on Tuesday... I don't have much to write about today. I want to go sit out on the deck and soak up the remaining rays of gorgeous fall sunlight.

Here's Jack fresh from his morning swim today. He is constantly wet. The stupid thing refuses to stay out of the water... he's in for a rude surprise when it freezes!
Doug and Jessie finding the Geocache in Atkinson, NH. It was a quick and easy one, right after Doug got out of work. We headed over there. What a nice treat...
The girls with a woman pretending to sit outside a 1942 WW2 era shoppe. From Left to right, K, the lady, A, Jessica, and sitting is C. This was the only picture I took that K smiled in.
K on C's lap, A on Jessica's. Inside the swing under the zinfandel grape arbor at the Welsh house at Strawberry Banke. "Mrs. Welsh," a woman in costume, gave them her permission to sit.
I forget which house this is, but it used to be the Governor's Mansion. The gardens at this house are spectacular. Best porch swing ever. K is kind of smiling.
In the Sukkot at the Shapiro home. The Shapiro home was my favorite -- because they had tons and tons of photographs of the family. Got a real feel for who lived there.

And here the girls decided to ham it up on a cruddy old tree stump. I love how A has her hand on Jessica's head. Jessica's trying not to pee herself laughing. K is there in front. She refused to climb on the tree stump. It was too disgusting. She looks ... Very Serious.

As I said before... she was an interesting child to have around for the day. I didn't dislike her. She has a quiet intensity that most fifth graders (especially these other three clowns in the picture) lack.

I took this picture for the Mirror Project but won't send it in without permission from the parents. I showed Jessica's teacher these pictures on the LCD of my camera, and explained why I took the mirror project picture. She cringed and shook her head "Oh, I wouldn't send something like that out to the internet." She didn't even say "be sure to ask the parents if they have a problem with it before you send it in... which is what I planned to do.

So she'd probably freak if she saw this. But I sincerely doubt she knows about this journal at all. And, it's a darn funny picture. K is there, third from the left, and she got into it. You can barely see C back there behind Jessie. I should have arranged them better. I had a great time with these girls. I'd chaperone again.

Alright. Enough. It's a beautiful day. I can't let it get away.

No comments:

Post a Comment