Friday, April 29, 2005

Complement and Compliment

Well, I'll be the first to admit that I'm surprised. I found out yesterday that compliment and complement are different words. Hhrm. Imagine that. I had no clue.

I was checking some spelling on something at work, and the word listed was "complement." I thought to myself, "Self, that don't look right. I think it is spelled with an 'i' there instead of an 'e'." So I went and looked that word up. Lo and behold, yup -- not only was it a word, but dictionary dot com listed the following little sentence to help clear things up for your humble narrator.
Usage Note: Complement and compliment, though quite distinct in meaning, are sometimes confused because they are pronounced the same. As a noun, complement means “something that completes or brings to perfection” (The antique silver was a complement to the beautifully set table); used as a verb it means “to serve as a complement to.” The noun compliment means “an expression or act of courtesy or praise” (They gave us a compliment on our beautifully set table), while the verb means “to pay a compliment to.”



If that ain't just something. Dang. I had no clue. I feel like a dingus. But. Just goes to show, that one can learn something new daily. And hopefully by my sharing my stupidity, you've learned something too.

Doug found a few Napoleon Dynamite Soundboards online, and I could spend all day clicking on great sayings.

At work today, I shared the "Love Bomb" philosophy from "Invasion Iowa." I am now thoroughly convinced that MB thinks I'm mentally unstable. But. C threw me some good Love Bombs, and I tried to get everyone to gather around at about 3:30 and Love Bomb one another, but it just didn't happen. For some reason, Friday afternoons in our office are when excrement comes in contact with fan blades spinning at high rate of speed, and it gets just plain crazy.

So we didn't get to Love Bomb. I'm thinking Monday mornings would be a good time to Love Bomb one another. Yes. Start the week off with a Love Bomb.

Gotta do it.

Sunday Night's Simpsons Episode will be the 350th, and it is nice to know they haven't aged a day in their 17 year run. I'm currently reading "Planet Simpson" by Chris Turner. It's an engaging read, but I'm not learning anything I didn't already know (see above, where I learn something...)

The thing that I'd love to see is out of those 349 episodes already shown is the Episode "The City of NY vs. Homer Simpson" (4F22). I do believe that because it takes place at the World Trade Center, they will never broadcast it again.

And that sucks.

It is one of the funniest episodes ever, with Homer buying Khlav kalash from a street vendor, drinking a bazillion cans of Crab Juice (instead of Mountain Dew, to which he says "Yeuch!" when offered it as a choice), Homer yelling "Look at me, I'm Peter Pantsless!" while totally drunk, the boot on the car, the WTC Bathroom scene... so many funny moments in this episode. For the tragedy that WTC and 9/11 were and are, this episode would bring a smile to a face or five, to see the buildings immortalized with Homer peeing at the top floor. I'd like that.

Makes me super sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment