Friday, September 06, 2013

morning, laundry, coffee, quiet

My son left for school on his bike this morning at 5:45 to get to the gym by 6am so he can work out. Even though he isn't on the football team, he's been going once or twice a week to work out. "Bro, do you even lift?" is a thing 16 year old boys say to each other so he's looking to make with the lifting a bit. Doug left exceptionally early to go to an 8am meeting at work. The dogs woke me up at 7 and I thought it was 8. No one had taken them out yet... I guess when you're in a hurry to go lift and a hurry to go sit in a two hour meeting you don't take time for the dogs.

This morning is exceptionally chilly. We closed all the windows last night, and I'm sitting here on the couch feeling how cold it is through the glass behind me, thinking about how cold it is going to be in here this winter.

Taking the dogs out, Doug had mowed the lawn yesterday and the dew was heavy on the grass. I didn't realize exactly how cold it was, and the cut grass coated in dew stuck to my feet, my toes, and it was a stunning experience. Oh, so cold! Not used to this! Do Not Want!

I realized that my entire summer got pissed away this year, I had little or no recreational fun. My feet were not tan, nowhere near as tan as years past. I didn't get to the beach once. I felt a sudden sadness at the fact that my favorite season was here. Just like that.

I retreated into the house thinking I had 20 minutes to get ready for work, then realizing that it was an hour earlier than I'd first thought. I took a shower to warm up my feet. I loaded the washing machine (again... so much laundry) and now am enjoying coffee while relaxing and reading my blogs and facebook news feed.

This is really the first time since about late July that I feel kind of relaxed and calm. I have a ton to do, but I feel like things are manageable, and it is a good feeling. That was a rough season to get through there, that month and a half or so... Happy to be sitting here smelling the clean laundry and listening to my snoring dogs.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:02 PM

    Just catching up with my reads this morning. Its sounding like you are settling in, a little. I suppose you don't want to know its almost 90 here and only 10 am. I personally am longing for cooler weather. Find me on Facebook if you want, I am Pink Daisy. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are settling in, slowly but surely. i started talking to doug last night about paint and primer and he started to panic. he wants to get our bedroom rearranged first.... right now it's a mess.

    so much to do. but this morning was peaceful and quiet...

    ReplyDelete
  3. you weathered the storm and that is a good thing

    ReplyDelete