Saturday, April 25, 2020

A Saturday where we discuss the attributes of pieces of furniture

Doug thought about us taking a drive today. He pitched the idea around 1pm, I told him I'd be game. I wanted to drive over to look at the ocean in like Annapolis or up to Bel Air or something. And then he said "that's just cloud talk."

We could take a ride somewhere, but everything we would want to do is closed, including some of the hiking paths we like.

Or, if they aren't closed, they are going to be so full of people that I don't want to be anywhere near them.  And in the end that kind of depresses me. We can't just get in the car, drive up to look around say Gettysburg or over to Front Royal, and then swing into a restaurant for a bite to eat. If anything, you can get take out, but if you're 2 hours from home, that's awkward. And you're not allowed to stop and picnic anywhere so what's the point.

Staying at home is what we turned our minds to.

 I'd been asking him to help me with assembling a bookcase for a couple of weeks. After our cloud talk about a drive around, he started poking at the shelves.

We have a nice cabinet that my friend Lita gave us when she moved, it didn't come apart and wasn't going to fit in her car. So it has been sitting unloved in a corner for almost a year now. With the bookcase pieces on top of it.

We determined that the 3 ft high shelf, with the 1x4 block bookcase, and then the 6ft tall bookcase next to it would look incredibly stupid lined up that way, and would not fit in the space.

The 1x4 shelf is about 7 inches too long to just sit on top of the cabinet sideways, which would have worked in the space and brought the cabinet height up closer to the top of the tall bookshelf.

We tried a couple of different arrangements, and now the 1x4 bookcase is still unassembled, and the 6ft case is in the dining room, where I can't quite see it as it is kind of weirdly positioned. It had a twin, but Geoff took it to his room and is fond of it, doesn't want to trade it for the 1x4 unit. Doug wanted to argue with him about it and I waved him off. I don't care enough, and really, I could buy another one for cheap from Ikea.

 We turned our attention back to the cabinet, and it looked more than a bit lost against the large white wall, it really needed something beside it.

There was an empty short bookcase in the basement that I had Geoff bring up. I want to paint it to match the cabinet ("I see a brown book case, I want to paint it blaaaaaack").  Height wise they're closer together, it still isn't perfect looking but I will like it much better when there are things on it.

And the 1x4 bookcase that I wanted help assembling is still unassembled. The irony is delicous.

Also I just realized you can see my dumb feet in the glass of the cabinet door. I always laugh when I look at realtor pictures and they are caught in the reflection of the bathroom mirror or something.

Doug wants to get a good "interesting" lamp for the top of the cabinet. So when we are allowed out in the world again, we'll find something. It's actually the nicest piece of furniture we own and it deserves to be adorned with a lamp of fine style.

I like furniture that is kind of "shabby chic," as it were. Camp or farmhouse style. I am not a fan of too fancy. Things get damaged, and then I feel horrible. I remember when we bought our bedroom set new, and Brodie used the footboard for puppy teething and shredded it. I kept a comforter draped over the foot of the bed so I would not see that, and it still bums me out.

Where the 6ft bookcase landed, there used to be a coat rack. It has been the battle of a lifetime for me to get people to use the coat rack instead of the back of the couch, or, like Geoff does, the top of the dining table.

Seriously, son. The top of the dining table is not where you put your coat.

The coat rack is now going to the basement, and all the coats are in the coat closet. And in the fall/winter I will return to my major grind of lecturing people to put their fucking coats in the fucking coat closet or at least on the back of a dining room chair.

My sister has been doing online karaoke with something called smule, and she wants me to join her. I am kind of like... no. Not interested. Don't want to. But she begs and cajoles. I may have to give in just to get her to stop.

Who knows, maybe I'll have fun? But for the most part I'm not feeling it.

Doug mowed the lawn and then also did a couple little projects of gluing some chairs back together, he discovered the gorilla glue I got, and found some other glue, and basically did his own little project. I'm proud of him. Maybe I'm an inspiration!

He's out for a walk now, so I'm going to use this time to vacuum. Hope your day is going well. Leave a comment if you're here. It says I get like 60 visits a day but no one ever says Hi. To quote Aaron Mahnke, "I like it when people say hi."

5 comments:

  1. Hello from Iowa. My projects have been cooking and baking oriented. Yesterday's feat was Potato Oat Bran Buns. I cheat by using the bread machine to make the dough. Tip it out after first rise. Form. Second rise in pan. Bake in oven.
    Enjoy hearing about your porch progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Erin! I just figured out that Blogger is filtering comments to protect me... so I just published a mess of comments here. Thank you for yours!

      I am usually a baker but my husband is doing a Keto diet, and we are not baking like we did in the before times. He's lost 25 pounds which is good for him but I would love to get up on some sourdough action!

      Delete
  2. Well hi. I am so proud of you with your projects, you are definitely an inspiration. I was out driving all around, drove to the ocean, looked at all the daffodils and got take out. It made me happy-ish. My car makes people smile so I like that. It's grey and chilly today here today, a nap might be in order. I just ate a burrito the size of a mailbox, I am going to let the dogs out and see what the rest of the day brings. Thanks for writing dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have cute car envy, and I think if I had cute car, I would not let anything stop me from going for a drive, even though nothing is open. I'd find something.

      We do not have good burritos here. Or good pizza. It's sad.

      But we do have that good Indian food!

      Delete