Thursday, April 02, 2020

How goes it by you?

How are my friends doing? How goes it with your soul? I've reached out to a number of people and have had all kinds of different conversations.

Some of my friends are unbothered by all of this and life is normal, perfectly normal, they're just waiting to go back to their offices and biding time at home twiddling their thumbs (I'm kind of in that mode). Others are freaking out all the way to 11. One is afraid they are going to be pulled over by the police for being out driving around on errands. Another is afraid for their business, and having to possibly furlough or lay off staff permanently. Others think this is all bullshit, that there isn't going to be a "surge" in the next three weeks, that over 100,000 people are not going to die. Another feels that it is going to be a lot worse than 100,000 and by a lot, they feel ... a lot.

Some are doing the teacher parent thing incredibly well, or their students are actually the ones to congratulate in all this. One colleague says her daughter gets up every day, comes to breakfast, and immediately starts her school work. They do lunch and recess (which my friend loves because otherwise she'd just stay put and work so they are going running together). And the daughter says "Mama, the faster I finish my schoolwork, the sooner I can play Stardew Valley!" And she's right. Another friend tweeted "Raise your hand if you were *the worst* school teacher today."

Others have had vacations ruined (me, as well). Others are out of wine (oh yes. Me, as well). Friends who are fighting to be clean and sober in the midst of all this have caused me to stop saying or even thinking "I picked a bad time to drastically cut back on alcohol consumption." The picture up there is of me with a beer, and instead of a nightly relaxation after a long, hard day at work this is a once a week thing usually reserved for Friday or Saturday. The Maryland Craft Brewing scene is gonna crumble because of my prohibitions.

And I'm honestly worried for one dear love who is drinking way too much, all day, even when working, because self-medication is the goal in their life. I am worried for them when this is all over, how will they undo what they are doing to get through the days?

I can't fix how anyone feels, or how any are reacting.  I can extend love and grace, and hear you when you're frustrated with your kids or scared of the police pulling your mom over when she is on her way over to your house to babysit so you can do countless hours of Go To Meeting or Zoom conferences.

If you are reading this and want to skype, FB chat, anything - hit me up. Let's schedule some time. Your introverted extrovert who is riding an even keel is here for you. And happy to hear you.




No comments:

Post a Comment