Wednesday, September 10, 2003

No 9/11 memories here

I am not writing anything retrospective and contemplative about the last two years. If you want to know my thoughts and feelings and relive what I had to say back then, feel free. Go back to the "What Just Happened in NYC" entry that I posted 2 years ago when my journal was 2 months young.

I just did and it was enough for me.

I have no ponderings, no deep thoughts, no fist shaking because the world hasn't become a giant 1973 Coke Commercial of peace and love yet and I'm angry kinds of thoughts.

But, I agree with Michael's Assessment about "tourists" when he visited Ground Zero last month. As it is every American's right to do, and perhaps everyone SHOULD go there, his opinion and mine are one in the absolute same - that people who go there and have their picture taken while SMILING are fucking freaks just don't get it. I go a step further and I think that touristy guffaws, grins and waves to grandma should mean these folks are rounded up and shot.

"Hey! Lookie me here Maw! I'ma standin' on a giant fuckin' tomb where 3000 people done got blowed up, gahey gahey!!"

It ain't Disney, Mt. Rushmore, or The World's Largest Plastic Duck on Long Island or some crap. When you go, if you go, be at peace... contemplate. Think. Remember. Have. Some. Somber. Humility. Please. For. The. Love. Of. God.

That's all I have to say.


Geoff has had 2 out of 3 good days so far (hee hee, I typed fart) at school this week. His teacher called after school to tell me that not only was his behavioral control in perfect check, but that he got work done, and that she thinks (without having him tested this is just opinion) that he has auditory processing issues and spacial relation issues and each of these can be addressed and corrected through special education.

So having her spend time with him and me processing some of her feedback, I'm starting to think that

a) he isn't possessed by Satan 24 hours a day every day,
b) his behavior issues may be learning disability based
c) he may not need meds because if he can learn to work through his frustrations with an education plan, he'll be well on his way to being a super behaved kid
d) auditory processing issues may be his biggest problem and we can teach him around those and
e) I'm less stressed.

Doug and I still need to talk about what we're going to do for him, get him tested or wait. His teacher stressed about 8 times in our discussion that she is gravely, seriously, extremely and unbelievably worried about him. And I'm glad. At least I know it isn't me.

I had considered yanking him out of the public schools and going to a montessori school, like one where he came from, but I don't just want to have him taught to his strengths. I want him very badly to learn how to work through his weaknesses, and make them better. That's the Geoff update for today. He's in a fabulous mood. I really hope it continues.

And the more I talked to her, the more I thought, Jesus... I have auditory processing issues. Which is why I have to keep a spreadsheet with every damn last little tiny task I need to accomplish. That is keeping me organized. It seemed demeaning at first. But a checklist to make sure I cross stuff off and archive and update where I am in the process -- that has made me much happier at work. My sister jokes to me all the time "didya put that on your spreadsheet?" and the answer is YES! I did. And I didn't forget to do it.

When I look back on last year's entry where I talk about why my house is a mess, not withstanding that there are 3 other people in my life who could do some cleaning, I think I may have some spacial relation and processing issues. Perhaps I'm the one who needs therapy.

And the more I think about it -- who isn't a mess? I mean, people who are so organized that they're perfect are also OCD and screwed up in the head beyond belief. I talked to someone recently who bought birthday cards 5 or 6 months in advance. Jesus. What do you do if that person dies two months from now. Albeit I usually buy stuff on the way to the Birthday Party and stress my husband out because we're going to be late, but at least I hope in my heart that person will be alive 2 hours from now when we get to their house and they open presents.

Gah.


We finally rented The Two Towers and watched it. Twice. I loved it but someone should have edited it down. Too many long sweeping landscapey shots. Yeah, we get it. Middle Earth is beautiful and majestic and it is beautiful and majestic. Too much Arwen in Aragorn's dreams. More Orc Ass Kicking. More Dwarf Humor. That's what I wanted. Yeah!

Faults: The Ents were too phony looking. Doug wasn't at all convinced of the size of the hobbits in the Orc/Rohrrim battle when Merry and Pippin are running around trying to escape. While I'm somewhat impressed with Gollum/Smeagol, he did look too CGI for me at points.

I can't fault Peter Jackson and the adaptation team too harshly. The book itself is the driest and hardest to get through of the trilogy. It is important, brings the whole human side, and explains the whole kingdom of Gondor and Rohan and all the other places of the story of Middle Earth and shows you that the age of Man is truly beginning. And to be honest, the whole Kingdoms of Gondor and Rohan and blah blah blah is really dull. A lot of it gets totally glossed over in the movie. And that isn't too good, because you need to know WHY there is a Steward of Gondor in the third book. Hmmmm. It will be interesting to see how they handle that whole explaining thing there.

And will Liv Tyler just get on the damn boat and leave or just stay and be with her man. Gah. Drag that shit out through three movies please. Mercy.

Pros: The story continues right where it left off and hits the ground running. No horrid "recaps" to let people know what happened in part one. The Orcs/Uruk hai were nasty. I loved when Gandalf released Theoden king from his enchantment (kick ass Gandalf!). Wormtongue was so good. His casting -- the best in the film. That's exactly the person I saw in my mind every time I've read the books. Excellent battle scenes, funny lines from the Dwarf, and lots of peril. Frodo and Sam are the best in the end of the film when Sam gives his spiel about "the great stories, the ones that stick with you" have an element of hope in them. And he wonders if they will survive. Frodo says the sweetest things to him and gives him his great nickname "Samwise" which he thinks is a joke. Their relationship is stunningly entertaining and engaging. I loved them.

And, I thought that Faramir was more beautiful to look upon than that filthy messy ole Strider Aragorn! David Wenham. Me-ow! I actually thought he was the same actor who played Boromir (Sean Bean) they look enough alike to actually be brothers. Excellent casting. And Damnit if I don't just LOVE Sir Ian McKellen. He is the frigging BEST. From Magneto to Gandalf, Sir Ian rocks.

If you've never read the books, I swear -- they really ARE the greatest story ever told. Go read them.

This time, for the final installment, the Return of the King (watch out you pissy Steward of Gondor! You know who he is! If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm so not tellin') I'm going to the theatre.

And I wonder how long it will be before theatres show all 3 of them in limited release back to back in a festival of Frodo-ness. Oh yeah! Oh, and Tess, there's a really really really big spider in this next one. You may want to cover your eyes when you see it. It is really gross.

We rented another movie that I was too tired to watch, "The Transporter." Doug watched it last night and said it was great. I may try to watch it tonight and let you know my opinions. Doug said he'd watch it again, and for Doug to watch a movie twice... well. That says a lot. I don't think it's a chick flick though. I think there's a lot of car crashing chasing and explodings and other guy stuff. The stuff I love in film.

More later. I gotta make supper!

No comments:

Post a Comment