Sunday, September 07, 2003

Warren Zevon; Trainspotting

I was never a big fan of Mr. Warren Zevon.

I was a little too young to catch him as singer/songwriter extrordinaire in the 70s, and by the time I discovered the genre, I focused mostly on people like Neil Young, Jackson Browne and James Taylor. I thought of Warren Zevon as an "I'm too smart for you common people" kind of songwriter.

"Lawyers, Guns and Money" was the first song I ever remember hearing someone actually swear in. So for that reason alone he impressed me. But the Genius of Zevon, which is being spoken of on just about every radio station eluded me, because just about every radio station played only three songs. The aforementioned L, G & M was most played along with Werewolves of London in "rock blocks" (when I hear it I see Tom Cruise in my mind playing pool and lipsynching to that particular tune, slicking back his hair with his "Vince" T-shirt on). And the title track to "Excitable Boy" which always frightened me and I never wanted to meet someone like the song's character. I found little humor in what he had to say, so I gave up on him. Even though everyone else I was fond of listening to, from Fleetwood Mac to the Eagles, thought him to be genius.

Ironically, I often mixed-up Randy Newman and Warren Zevon. Two older white guys who play piano and write sarcastic songs. I have never really gotten into either of them, although in his more recent career I've found Randy Newman to be genius for all the work he did for the Toy Story movies. In my honest opinion.

I did, however, enjoy the Zevon's wonderfully silly hockey song, "Hit Somebody," with David Letterman yelling in the background. It tells an amazing tale.

Warren Zevon has passed away. Caus of death was mesothelioma, a rare form of lung cancer most often associated with exposure to asbestos. He dies just a few days after his "I'm dying, remember me" album, "The Wind," was released. Just a few months after his daughter gave birth to his twin grandsons. Warren Zevon was 56 years young.

On the front of the webpage, "Jordan" encourages us all to "enjoy every sandwich." I presume that's an inside family joke espoused by Mr. Zevon. But. I will do just that. And when enjoying a sandwich, I'll toast him. And I promise not to confuse him with Randy Newman in the future.

Bye Mr. Zevon. Sorry I didn't know you better. But there's time for me to go back through the discography and pick from the "songs you wrote to amuse" yourself.


I received an interesting email today alerting me to a new book that will be coming out. Pains on Trains, by Andrew Holmes. Mr. Holmes himself authored the note, and informed me that based on my entry about Amtrak adventures I've had, this book may be something I would find amusing. He is even sending me a copy.

Needless to say, I'm thrilled. The book sounds funny. It outlines all the different types of "pains" one can run into while commuting on trains. The nose picker, the smelly person, pan handlers, and all the assorted unwashed heathens that you can "pain spot" as you ride.

From the inside cover (lifted out of his email and off the Amazon.uk website):

You have seen them, heard them, smelt them, been touched by them and had your commuting life made miserable by them. Welcome to the world of Pains on Trains. Pains on Trains come in a variety of shapes and sizes, but all are destined to add woe to the life of the modern commuter. This book gives you the opportunity to lighten your journey by indulging in the craze that's set to sweep the nation's travelling fraternity - 'pain spotting'. From the broadsheet to the mobile phoner, and from the nose picker to the over your shoulder, you'll be able to have hours of fun with the person sat next or opposite to you, without them even knowing. Start pain spotting today and put the fun back into commuting!

Pain spotting. THAT is funny!

I'll be sure to let you know how I find the book. Perhaps he can take a greyhound bus across America and meet some of those fine specimens of the flesh and being. Tess can vouch for how super they are, and I know I have some stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment