Friday, November 14, 2003

BNL Peepshow Review, 11/13/03 Bushnell Auditorium Hartford CT

It is 1AM. I just got home. And who on earth would have imagined the night would be as specfriggintacular as it has been.

Our tickets at the Bushnell Auditorium (a mighty fine hall, makes the Orpheum look like the chumbucket that it truly is) were in the 2nd row, right in front of Ed.

??? I'm sorry, second row? You've got to be shitting me. C and I were both astonished, amazed, blown a way. Ohmygodwe'reinthe SECOND ROW!!

And then I thought of my sister, who was supposed to be with me and opted for romance and California. Suckaaaaaa!

And then I thought of Andi -- I so very much would have loved to met her there for this show, and I feel so horrible that she didn't get a chance to come with me.

Sorry Andi. So very very sorry. I think you might have died on me, and that would have been hard to explain to Joseph. I called my sister to gloat, but couldn't bring myself to call you and do the same.

C probably derived as much pleasure in watching me watch the band as she did watching the band. I knew every word to every song from Yes Yes Yes to Powder Blue, and I think I must have made Kevin laugh at one point when he was up in front of me with the blue sparkly accordion and I gave him the secret devil sign.

They were so much more phenomenal than at the Boston show last month. And not because I was close enough to see fillings in the teeth and eyelashes and the fact that Steve has the same kind of mole thing on his forehead that I have... They seemed so together and so confident in the new material, and the audience sang along with all the E2E stuff... unlike Boston where hardly anyone had a chance to listen to the new CD because the release date and tour were the same day. It really appears that they've polished the new stuff and have such a grasp on the presentation, and the show rocked as a result.

The BNL Ladies Room came through for us on this one -- best seats ever, best concert ever. I don't know if I can say enough about it. I took the film camera and digital, the top picture is the only one that came out on the digital because I ... forgot to open the lens cover and wasn't using the LCD display so as not to betray the camera's existance, so I had no idea... I only took a couple shots with it and they were on the super low light setting, so they would have sucked anyway. I'm relieved but stupid all at the same time.

So I'm banking on the film camera for a couple good shots. Oh please oh please.

Highlights musically, aside from the 2nd row seats, were:

  • Powder Blue, unbelievably done and in full operatic voice from Mr. Page.
  • Ed's slick mohawk looking curled and fine.
  • A wonderful rap about getting a hot shave and ass waxing and an invitation therein to come up to "Torontaa" to continue having waxings done.
  • "This is where it ends" was simply amazing.
  • Steve gave a gorgeous and very touching introduction to War on Drugs which had C and me in complete tears hugging each other and weeping, thinking as always of our Clayton.
  • Ed gave a very VH1 storytellers intro to "Leave," which I never realized isn't a breakup song... wonderfully enlightening to me. As he was introducing the song and explaining it, I totally thought they were going into "Tonight is the night I fell asleep at the wheel" and was surprised to hear Leave. Then the lyrics made so much sense and were so much more poignant.
  • Some Fantastic done in the Prairie Home Companion one-mic format
  • Kevin and the Mandolin, the craziest synthesizer work ever, the blue sparkly accordion and the funniest patchy pants in history
  • These Apples, Conventioneers, and Enid!
  • Killer encores, "Have you seen my love," and Brian Wilson among others.

The Q and A session was awfully fun, with an audience member asking "Can you give me directions to the Bryan Street Theatre" (the answer being, no I can't... and the response "Aw Fer Chrissake!" and "Welll????") A wonderful question about why they changed the CD art on the re-release of Gordon. And a very funny and embarassing answer to the question from a teacher as to what qualities they thing are best in a good teacher. Tyler's response was pretty much "a really fabulous tits!" The woman then confessed that Ty once autographed her tits and the band went nutty. It was a riot.

I can't say enough about how good they were tonight, how they made each other laugh, how wonderful and polite and well behaved the audience seemed and how fucking incredible our seats were.

They are totally like a boyband and I'm totally the biggest geek fan girl in history. Only none of us are 15. And they are far far more talented than any boyband in history. Amazing. Far too good. I could see them a million times and I probably will. God willing.

Speaking of God -- Tiny was in great form. See him up there in the background behind Steve. Nice!

I hope to God himself (he plays a mean bongo!) that my photos came out alright. I have no idea what speed film is in the camera and flash photography was prohibited.

And now -- off to bed

No comments:

Post a Comment