Monday, December 08, 2003

Snow Days and Sand Castles

A longtime reader of this journal and lontime good friend has requested that I "plug." All five of my regular readers (actually four, seeing as he's one of them) may benefit from this.

My friend's father has written a book which you may find interesting, or which you may feel would make a good Holiday gift for someone.

"A Day at the Beach -- How Absolutley Anyone Can Successfully Build Sand Castles and Build Even Better Beach Memories" by Doug Smith is an exploration of relationships, vacations, tools, sand, kids and a sandcastle creation. For many people, living near the ocean means constant trips to the seashore. For others, ocean vacations are a real treat. This book explores how you can take the long summer days and turn them into great memories by building sand castle, whether it is a weekly trip to where sand meets water or a once in a lifetime jaunt.

Sand castles are often washed away or kicked over by bullies. But the memories of building with a friend or child, or even the challenge of doing one by yourself that pushes you to your granular architectural limits can last a lifetime.

Plus, with all this snow on the ground at this point, wouldn't some wonderful pictures of beaches, the dream of sand between your toes, and plans for what you're going to build the next time you get to wear sunscreen and shorts be nice at this point in time?

So go buy Doug Smith's sandcastles book. For you or as a gift for some friends. It's unique and different. Better than that new Sevendust CD. No really. Go buy it now.

(a)musings commands you.


Thirdly, Mutterings: (and you can be proud of me that I didn't delay all the way to say Thursday on these. I remembered at the start of the week. Hurting my arm patting me on the back...)

1. Blizzard :: Of Oz
2. J :: My Brother in Law
3. Control :: Freak
4. Blood :: Simple
5. Mysterious :: Circumstances
6. Annoying :: Noises
7. Throat :: Scarf
8. Condom :: Sex
9. Search :: Engine
10. Heartfelt :: Apologies

Number 4 is a Coen Brothers movie. Number 2 is honestly my brother in law's name. He doesn't even us a period at the end. Just the letter J there. The rest of them are fairly obvious. And none of them are BNL lyrics or songs. Who woulda thunk it?

How 'bout you? Did you play along?


Well, it wasn't a day at the beach for us this weekend, although looking at the pictures in Mr. Smith's sandcastle book made me long for less clothing, sweat, sand, margaritas and the smell of sunscreen.

It snowed like a friggin factory for almost two full days, finally stopping somewhere around 9pm.

When we went to bed last night we were certain that Monday would be a school day. The roads out there were perfect and lovely. Why would they cancel? Surprise, surprise. They did. At 8am, our neighbor girl came over for her ride to school.

Seems her mom called the school hotline and the recording didn't mention the school closing. So she got her all dressed and ready. Doug sent her home and two seconds later the phone rings, it's my neighbor "What the hell do you mean school is closed? I called the thing like we're supposed to!!!"

Yup. I know. I called it too. But Channel 5 news showed me that the school district is closed, closed, closed.

Part of me then doubted Channel 5.

The school would update the phone-in messagey thing, wouldn't they???

Doug laughed at me and said "Well that'd mean a school secretary would have to DO something on a day off in order to update it..." and he laughed at my naïveté.

He made sense. I didn't trust my own thoughts though. I dialed the school again at 8:40 AM and their recording still didn't state whether or not school was closed.

I left a voicemail at the main office stating that I thought it'd be a good idea if someone updated that recording to state the fact school was closed. I wondered how many other parents called it and didn't watch the news. How many parents drove their kids in today? How many kids went to stand at the bus stop. One shouldn't have to go to more than one source of information to obtain, confirm, contrast and ponder the truth in these little situations, should one? No.

I just called again at 1:30pm. It has been updated. But it's funny... it says "due to inclement weather school is closed today" which is technically incorrect. The school isn't closed due to inclement weather today because it is friggin fabulous out there today... sunny, not windy, gorgeous.

And on top of THAT, the recording doesn't specify today's date. I wonder if they'll leave that turned on for tomorrow, the next day and the next until some parent points that out to them.

So, in my over pompous and more smarter than everyone elseness, it should state:

"Due to potentially unsafe road conditions, school is closed on Monday December 8th, 2003."

Even though I am a consistent fuckup in life, even I could get this one right. Good gravy.


Well, it's almost 3pm and I've spent the better part of the day working on two web projects that I have taken my damn sweet time on. One of which should have been up forever ago. Another one I need content and information from the owner in order to put up the terms and conditions and prices.

My kids have been borderline saints today. I think I'm going to get Geoff all dressed up and throw him outside though. And go down and do laundry. Maybe I'll take him up the sled hill in town... maybe not. If he's outside playing nicely I can continue to work on things that need done.

The snow total here was probably close to 20 inches by the time all was said and done. Just south of here they got over 30, just west of here they got maybe 12. Regardless... it's pretty. The dogs have been romping and playing. And I know a little boy who needs to get out and enjoy it, so I'm going to suit him up and get him out there.

More later peeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment