Friday, April 02, 2004

Indecency is subjective.

I've looked over a lot of dieting blogs. Everyone keeps track of what they're consuming. I'm not sure whether or not I want to do that here, or if I should paper log it. Hmmm. I kind of have to because I'm supposed to so I know exactly how much of the required minimums of which what I need to eat get eaten.

The other night I made a huge beef roast, and I must say that it was the best roast ever. It was seasoned just right, wonderfully cooked, and was just perfect. For left overs yesterday, I took slices of the beef roast, put feta on top of them and a slice of yellow pepper, and tiny smidge of low carb "bacon" salad dressing... I put it under the broiler until the yellow pepper was broiled and the feta was cooked.

It was divine.

Seriously divine. Like something you'd get at a nice restaurant for 30 bucks nice. And I had four of these medallions of joy, and life was good.

I love April Fool's Day. I love when people pull off good pranks. I'm never the person to do it though, I'm not that clever. I enjoy getting tricked, or watching as others get tricked when I realize that they are the victim.

Yesterday a local radio station pulled a good April Fool's joke on its listeners. Blute & Scotto on WRKO, a decidedly conservative pair, announced that the station management had informed them that they were changing format with the changing times, and the show was to be more "left" in slant. The pre-recorded radio bumpers were hysterical... "WRKO, the left end of the dial" with all sorts of 60s hippie music playing in the background. The pair delivered the show with deadpan honesty and caller after caller phoned in to voice disappointment and outrage.

They even stated that the morning news guy, Ron Fritz, had been fired after the first half hour of the show because he mysteriously disappeared from the program and was replaced by another news guy. They stated that he couldn't keep from voicing his own disappointment at the change, so they fired him. People were freaking out. When in all honesty, he did the first two news broadcasts of the show and left because he had been fighting something horrible and lost his voice.

It was hysterical... it took me about 20 minutes to realize they were full of shit. And when I realized it was a joke, it all became so obvious. They were going to have Al Franken on the show to discuss his new book, and they were all for Kerry raising soft money. People were calling them and yelling at them. It was a riot.

Normally I only listen to the news at the top of the hour when the alarm goes off at 6, but they really hooked me, and by 7am I couldn't help but keep listening because "Randy from Revere" was bullshit and declaring he'd be boycotting WRKO forever! And Blute and Scotto did a beautiful job for the entire program, and pulled it off beautifully.

Too damn funny.

What they did was small potatoes though compared to the stunt that Howard Stern pulled.

I missed the whole thing, because I (exercising total common sense) don't listen to him when the kids are in the house with me. See, I GET IT. You're not supposed to play Howard Stern on the radio when you're hanging out with your 7 year old. You play something else.

After I dropped the kids off at school I switched over to check out what he was doing. I don't know why other parents don't get it and the FCC feels the need to protect all children from him when Oprah Winfrey has a sexually explicit talk on her show, and there are dozens and dozens of other shows out there with raunchier content than Stern's program.

I support Howard's (and Oprah's) right to free speech. And I exercise my right to not listen when I don't like what he's (or she's) doing. But Howard is the only one in the target sites of the FCC as of late, and because of it, he and his listeners are pointing out where there is more wrong with other broadcasts, and the FCC will finally have to react and take care of ALL the "indecency" out there, not the poster boy for free speech, Howard.

Anyway -- when I tuned in yesterday they were discussing the ruckus they caused, and people were phoning into the show stating they nearly had heart attacks because of it. So I listened and learned what they did. At 6am Tom the Station Manager came on the air and said that Howard's show was canceled due to all the fines leveled on Viacom by the FCC. They had given up the fight, Clear Channel and other stations now rule the universe, and he introduced Stern's replacement -- new pair named Cross & Lopez would be doing their morning DJ thing from there on in.

Their new show motto: "Fun without the filth!"

And the two "fill ins" came on the air and started their "inaugural" program.

People started freaking out. Calling the station going totally mental. I don't know how long they carried it on, but on Fox News they had their morning bubble headed retard chatty coffee guys completely fooled, until one of them said "Well, it IS April Fools Day..." and then they sort of realized how STUPID they were for falling for it.

It was Orson Wells Revisited, only this time with lots of farting jokes and women getting farted on for 2000 dollars courtesy of a new movie release on DVD.

Howard's point in the end was -- this was indeed a joke, but it's going to happen for real soon. The FCC is out to get him, but is not out to stop anyone else. Oprah and The View, and other shows are seen as "educational" in their format when they have segments like the teen sex confessions, and "experts" on to explain why a 13 year old is a nympho. Clear Channel stations are taking over the world, I've hated them for years and years... and pretty soon, Howard will be off the air in more markets than Pittsburgh and Miami, and people are going to be pissed.

Thing is, I think politicians and folks like the FCC don't realize the public sway Howard has. Some folks have wanted him to stage a Million Moron March on Washington, but he won't organize that.... or so he says. We shall see where some of this goes.

Meanwhile, I can hear all kinds of lurid radio commercials on all the talk stations for men who climax too early during sex with voice overs of a woman's voice begging for him to "give it to her, she wants you to get it..." and I get 1000 emails in the same vein.

Indecency is subjective.

If I find something indecent, I recognize the person's right to do it and walk away. I change TV stations (there was a soap opera on yesterday after the news and in the first five minutes there was a murder, a couple fighting on a balcony and one of them falls off and lands on top of someone else, killing her. Three deaths, five minutes. Where's the decency in that? Who cares -- I turned it off).

Sigh. This has gone on too long. I ended this at about 5pm and went to Jessica's play thing at school. More details forthcoming on that in my next entry. I really just wanted to post this up and get it out there. Can't wait to share the pictures from the play. More on that later!

No comments:

Post a Comment