Sunday, March 27, 2005

Ooops, I did it again

Every Easter, I'm usually focused on God. Jesus. Resurrection. You know, the reason for celebrating the holiday. Not the Easter Bunny. And every year, I forget that my kids are kids and might just ... expect a basket.

At about 8 pm last night, I realized that yet another Easter was on my doorstep, and I had nothing for the shorties. Doug bought some Jelly Beans and some cupcakes for the kids (did he buy the whole gamut of crap to go in a basket? No. He bought enough to remind me that I forgot to buy basket fillin's. Nice.)

So I decided that this year, I wouldn't go buy basket fillin's after all.

Jessie knows I'm the Easter Bunny / Santa / Tooth Fairy / Secret Leprechaun who leaves pots of gold all over the place. But Geoff has no idea. He still spoke of Santa as if he truly believed this Christmas... and I got to thinking that perhaps springing the truth on him on Easter Morning was ... mean.

I should save that for a little talk in the summer time, far removed from the holiday. Associating this bad news and harsh dose of reality could really impact the way he perceives Easter all together. And Geoff's tenuous grip on reality is important to me... so I went out (after my sister made me feel EXTRA guilty when I asked her opinion) and went to the local 24 hour CVS (having just missed the closing time at the CVS nearest to my house) and went candy shopping.

They still had a fairly decent selection, albeit picked over harshly and quite abused. There were three giant solid chocolate rabbits, with broken off ears sitting in the bottom of their boxes.

I'm cheap, but not mean.

I passed on those. I bought smaller bunnies, lots of peeps, eggs to fill with goodies, and two huge solid Hershey bars... the one pound size. Who cares if it isn't bunny branded. It's solid, unbroken, and my kids will polish them off in no time.

Chocolate is chocolate.

The shopping experience was kind of funny. The aisle was filled with dishevelled and pyjama-clad dads and moms like me, who totally forgot, or wanted some last minute extras. And stoned college girls looking for munchies.

Seriously.

There were some girls there, dressed like they should be on spring break, with belly shirts and low rider pants showing off their fake and bake tans and belly button piercings, and they REEKED of pot. I could smell them a half mile away. It was like they just went to see Dave Matthews Band next door and popped over for some food.

"Dude, I found this bunny. It's solid. SOLID. And it's 99 cents because the EARS are broken off. Who gives a fuck about the EARS being broken off. This is like, sick. It's like five pounds and it is solid. I'm so buying it."

"Oh, no way. Are there more? I want one."

They bought the bunnies I passed on. Enjoy them, ladies... I hope you get zits. But. At least the bunnies will be eaten. I felt badly for the three of them, sitting there. If I weren't on a diet, I'd buy the third one with the stoned girls, and we could eat them in the parking lot while cranking the new DMB single.



We booked our Outer Banks rental house. Eight Hundred Dollars even. For a week, on the ocean. Fees and everything. And if Aaron and Michelle join us, they'll have to pay for Gonzo Dog to stay with... the dog fee add on is easy to do once we know if they're coming.

We're staying in (that's a PDF map that I'm linking to from the National Parks Service. It's really nice) a town called Salvo, pretty much smack dab in the middle of the train of islands, on Hatteras. It looks like it'll be a perfect spot... I'm starting to get giddy and excited over here. Meep! Here is a picture of the house. Not too shabby!



So happy Easter to you. We have no big plans. Both kids are deep in the colds and Doug and I woke up this morning barking like seals. Guess it's our turn. I'm scratchy and post-nasally beyond belief.

Last night, I picked Jessica up from her friend's house (she had spent the Friday night over) and she went right to bed at 6:30pm. Totally not feeling well. Geoff vegged on the couch, ate some turkey, took some cough medicine and fell fast asleep while watching Tom and Jerry. I left him there for the night. No use in waking him once he's down.

I am still sore from yesterday, but a good walk should take the painful edge off. I think we are bypassing Church today because of these colds. No use in going and sitting there hacking up a lung while trying to sing my favorite hymn, "Jesus Christ is Risen Today-ay, Ha ah ah ah ahhhh le ay lu ooo yah." cough cough sneeze. If we can muster a short walk and enjoy outside instead of languishing in the sick house, it'll be good for everyone.

One of the things that has been making me sad lately is knowing how different things will be when going to a different church. The thing I'll miss the most is the egg hunt that we did at our old church -- that was always such a good time. My daughter was always so helpful with the little wee ones, and Geoff and the boys from his Sunday School class always tore up and had a blast. We don't know these people like that. So it's ... weird and new.

Like an awakening, but you're not really sure what you're waking up into yet.

Whether or not you celebrate the risen Lord, I wish you a day of family without conflict, a day of love, time to yourself if you need it, time with others if you are alone and lonely. I wish you comfort and joy, surrounded by what is right.

After all, that's what Jesus had in mind for us when he did what he did. Love. Peace. Truth. Balance.

Peace to you all. I'm off to help with Easter Eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment