Tuesday, April 26, 2005

I'm a goofy goober (rock)

We finally saw Napoleon Dynamite the other night. Everyone I know who has seen it said "Dude, you've got to see this movie. It is so you."

Well, it was. It truly was a film right up my alley, and I got it, and I felt it, and I loved it. I loved the simple weirdness of it, the strange little characters... Kip and his girlfriend particularly. I loved Pedro shaving his head because he was hot, and how he looked like he was perpetually feverish and sick. The glamor shot session with Uncle Rico. That conversion van he drove...

I loved the brown suit. It was sweet. I loved Napoleon Dynamite, and I'll watch it again and again.

The thing I loved most about it was there was no profanity, no sex, no swearing, and it was a funny movie. I could watch this with my kids... and they loved it. They loved Napoleon's assessment of chicks diging guys with skills, "like nunchuck skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills...," the liger discussion, they loved the Vote for Pedro dance scene. Jessica already has it memorized and told her friend running for next year's class president to say "Vote for me and all your wildest dreams will come true."

What I found most peculiar about this movie was my reaction and my anticipation of what happens next. In one scene, Kip's girlfriend arrives on a bus, and I'm totally thinking -- this is not going to end well. She's a dude. She's a he/she. She's a shemale.

But, she wasn't. She truly was a girl, she truly loved Kip... and as nice and sweet as that was, it wasn't at all what my modern sense of humor and comedy expected.

Thus, the movie was refreshing, because it lacked what has become overdone and common. It was a simple, nice story... weird, but nice.

And. That makes it a shining little gem in the world.

We also rented the Spongebob Squarepants movie, which was a lot cruder humor wise than Napoleon Dynamite. Funny how I expected things to be the other way around. Patrick Star in fishnet stockings and high heels a la 70s rock and roll gender bending at the end was a bit over the top for me personally... but overall it was an okay movie with a "believe in yourself, even if you're a kid and no one thinks you can do it" message. Add the live action cameo by David Hasselhoff and yeah, that's some funny stuff.

Both movies will play repeatedly in our house this week, until we have to return them to blockbuster.

I wrote a poem.

Salve-Ocean
Stepping through honey sands, the waves
kissed by sunlight, playing, dazzling, dancing, retreating.
Replacing warmth with brief shiver, returning again
wrapped in foam and shell.


The title comes from the town we stayed in on vacation, Salvo, North Carolina. the play on words of Salve, Salvo, Ocean, Salvation, all these things played in my mind all week. I wanted to hide a geocache there, so other people would go and find it, and feel the same way.



Getting to work yesterday was interesting. I was immediately pulled into an office to have a talk with G about a global restructuring event that took place within the company while I was out of town. She's still my boss, but her job has changed drastically. My position straddles two groups, the creative group and the technical group.

Stop me if you've heard that sort of job description from me before...

So things are different in the office this week, and things are a little weird. There are a lot of hurt feelings, and a lot of mistrust and sadness, in areas outside of my cubicle. I really don't care. My immediate life doesn't change all that much.

One of the things that was supposed to happen this week is me coming on board as a regular employee instead of a contractor. I'm more inclined to stay as a contractor. I can't really discuss my thoughts around this here, because it isn't necessarily blog fodder. Suffice to say, I'd make more money as a contractor, and I could write some stuff off that I'd buy here and there, and just take time off without pay as I need it. I can't get on the company insurance because I can't really work 40 hours a week, so... contracting seems like it is the best bet for me.

Well, it's near time to shuffle the kiddies off to bed, and I have some other work to get to, so I'm off. That, and there are journals I'm gravely behind on, and must read. Have a super night, yins.

No comments:

Post a Comment