Monday, May 01, 2006

A Nice Reliant Automobile

I thought I'd take the opportunity for a quick second before Geoff needs to get his bus to do an entry. This was a busy week and weekend, and I feel like a need a weekend from my weekend.

Friday night we had cub scouts and a barbecue. It was fun and I really like the other parents in the den. I worry a little too much about Geoff and how he handles how the other boys treat him. That's something I need to let him work out. It doesn't seem to bother him, he fights back, and then they eat food. I guess that's a boy thing that I don't quite wrap my head around. I guess when he's sick of it, he'll stop playing with them.

Until then, I can just be sure that when one of them takes a fist to the teeth they'll cry and come to me and say "Geoff punched me in the face!"

I'll say "Well, you had him pinned down and you were bouncing up and down on top of him. And earlier you deliberately threw a soccer ball at his head. What did you expect, honey? Here, have an ice pack. Don't do it again and he won't hit you in the face, got it?"

And the other parents of these same boys agree. Nodding head in agreement, sometimes they realize it will take their kids getting a square chuck to the nose to get them to listen. Until then, we let it play out.

Saturday we burned things all day. We drank beer and burned what was left in the basement. The man who used to own this house kept EVERYTHING. He added an addition to the house, and kept the exterior frame and clap boards to the house in the basement.

Like he'd USE it again or something.

Holy crap.

Seven straight hours of burning. Now just a few more items into the dumpster, and we're done with the basement. Hallelujah, amen.

Sunday we went to Mr. and Mrs. N's wedding reception. It was a lot of fun. It was great to see people I hadn't seen in 15 or 20 years really. We had a blast. Mr. N and I were in college together, and Mrs. N was friends with Michelle, so there are two whole entire circles of friends that overlap in my life. That was kind of funny. Worlds collided.

And, they're both into karaoke, so they had a mess of karaoke action going on. We jokingly suggested that Geoff get up and sing "Back in Black" by AC/DC. Mr. N and I decided that his entire contingency may just get up and walk out if something like that happened. Geoff was enthralled with the idea that you could get up and sing a song after one of the guests did a Cake song, "Short Skirt, Long Jacket." Jess and I sang back up from our chairs across the room and people thought it was a riot. "Hey! Ho! Na na na na na na!"

Then Geoff started looking through the book and I, of course, turned to Barenaked Ladies. I wanted to sing "When I fall" by myself but wasn't drunk enough to get up and do it. So Geoff said "Let's sing Million Dollars!"

And he was serious.

And we did.

And it was funny.

I'm glad we did it. He was thrilled with all the attention and applause, and would have gone back for more if I didn't show mercy unto my husband who is not a big fan of karaoke and didn't want to stay too long for that.

So we went home laughing. And long before I was drunk enough to get up and sing solo.

Anyway. It was a good and fun weekend. It is now May 1 and I have 25 days to pack for the move. Pray for us.

Enjoy your Monday in all you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment