Monday, May 15, 2006

Please be sure to keep the Tiger and Lion away from the Unicorn on my ark, thank you

Yes, I know it rains elsewhere in the country, but damn -- around here what's happening now is a big deal. A big major deal. This is EPIC. This is just all kinds of wow. This is like getting the Blizzard of 78 in liquid form, not snow, and watching it all unfold and fearing the worse for people all around the region is just overwhelming.

For the record, I did a "Day in the life of" Flickr set yesterday, and if you'd like to see it, it is over here. Click to view the set. It's fun. It started out with breakfast in bed and ended with a bottle of wine and the news that school would be closed today. Go, enjoy and come back to read the rest.


We had some crazy rain back in October. And back in 1996 we had a huge storm. But this, my friends, this is truly the mother humper of all storms. And I'm living it.

I am now thinking we should have passed papers on the house a week ago and gotten out of here just a little bit faster.

Is God punishing us for being slothful and lazy? Or is God punishing us ALL because Jo put her patio furniture out? I'm not sure. Only he can truly know.

In my last entry three days ago I griped about the rain. And it has not stopped. Our normally placid little creekling is now a fully engorged and raging river. Our pond is filling up faster than I've ever seen it. Our road was closed last night due to fears that it would cave in up the way about 1/2 mile. That was kind of awesome because there was absolutely no traffic and all you could hear was the constant roar of the Niagara-like creek.

We went out yesterday for Mother's Day (Happy belated to all you moms and moms to be out there) and got Indian Food at the Bollywood Grill in N. Andover. It was awesome and tasty and good and fun, and we drove around gawking at the flooding and splashing the big truck through all the water. We got home and made our obligatory mother's day calls, and then our neighbor came over to check on us and make sure we were doing alright. He's a nice guy like that. I guess his basement is flooding -- the sump pump is working overtime.

I wonder how the sump pump in our new house is doing... I should call the seller and just check up on him.

Anyway -- this morning came and the kids had school canceled. I guess it's a good thing because if I had even tried to get to Marblehead I wouldn't have been able to make it easily. Downtown Peabody is totally flooded. Normally it gets flooded if it just drizzles, so you can imagine what 10 inches of rain has done to the place. It's been all over the news. It's insane.

Well, I oughta go and check on the creek. Check on my basement and make sure it isn't totally flooded. Check on the pond. Fret.

No comments:

Post a Comment