Saturday, February 26, 2011

30 day song challenge - Day Eighteen

*by the way -- I'm getting hundreds of visitors from overseas and around the USA who are coming here by Googling about the 30 day Song Challenge. If you're here, say hello. If you are blogging your 30 songs, I'd love to read them. Don't be shy.


day 18 - a song you wish you heard on the radio
"To Be Alone With You" by Sufjan Stevens

I would actually say I would like to hear almost anything from Sufjan Stevens on the Boston airwaves. Unlike the Eagles, he is nowhere to be found. He is not on the acoustic rock stations, he is not on the progressive/alternative stations. He just isn't anywhere.

Somehow I'm okay with that.

There are songs that he does which are just absolute noise (the end of Romulus is unlistenable, I just skip over that and go on with my life). He has a huge collection of quirky Christmas and holiday music which maybe are thrown up there on the stations at the appropriate time of the year.

This song, and a few others, are rather worthy of being played by mainstream radio. His faith in God and his love for Jesus are hidden in the poetry and are often left to the listener to decipher.

His quirky obscurity probably keeps him off the airwaves. His religious over and undertones keep him off the mainstream, and his weirdness keeps him off Christian radio.

I wish it didn't. I'd like to be scanning around the dial and come across him and his banjo. For as hip as the Decemberists and other bands using alternative stringed instruments are, I'd have thought he'd rise to the top. But not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment